Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question, but what are OEM fairings made of? I'm going to repair a bit of rash on my wifey's 2002 J3, just want to make sure I get the right repair products..

·
Registered
442 Posts
From what Google said...looks like ABS??? I'm not sure though as some of the cheap China made fairings are ABS also, and they don't come close from what I hear to OEM.

Styrene, PVC, butyrate, polycarbonate, ABS, and acrylic were among some Google choices but ABS seems to be the winner. GL and sorry if this was no help at all lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I'll consider it ABS.. It's not much damaage, just want to through some bondo on it, sand and paint.

Cheers

·
Registered
120 Posts
it might say what its made of, in the inside of the fairing. Have a look for one of these type markings, and it might give you an idea. ABS is a good bet though, as mentioned

·
Registered
91 Posts
The OEM fairings are usually a quality ABS. The strength of the OEM fairings vs the Chinese fairings all comes down to what type of ABS used and the forming/molding process whether it be compression molded or injection molded.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
The OEM fairings are usually a quality ABS. The strength of the OEM fairings vs the Chinese fairings all comes down to what type of ABS used and the forming/molding process whether it be compression molded or injection molded.
Its all relative.

Still cant hold up even close to as well as a nice set of glass track fairings.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Its all relative.

Still cant hold up even close to as well as a nice set of glass track fairings.
This is very true. The track plastics should hold up much better but really isn't worth spending that amount of cash for plastics if it is not a track bike. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
This is very true. The track plastics should hold up much better but really isn't worth spending that amount of cash for plastics if it is not a track bike. Just my opinion though.
Totally.

Not to mention, I dont think I have ever seen a set of fiberglass plastics that are even street worthy, aka have headlight cutouts, signal mounts, tail light cut out, etc.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Totally.

Not to mention, I dont think I have ever seen a set of fiberglass plastics that are even street worthy, aka have headlight cutouts, signal mounts, tail light cut out, etc.
Fiberglass plastics? What's that? :2fingerlol:

Seriously tho, the only fiberglass fairings I've ever seen are custom made - I've never seen any mass produced ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts