Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone used these? I’ve been reading a bunch about the pros and cons of frame sliders, and got myself spooked about the fragility of the frame spar they mount to. These seem like an interesting alternative because they mount like case savers, but give a little more standoff.

Pretty good installation instructions on Kawi’s site:

https://m.kawasaki.com/accessories/item/frame-slider-set/999940349

·
Registered
96 Posts
I personally don't like to drill in the OEM fairings so I went for a no cut sliders, but if you don't mind drilling then Woodcraft is second to none.

·
Registered
13,111 Posts
Any time you have multiple points of contact you reduce the chances of a bending force shearing something off. The wider base requires much more leverage to cause damage. Triangulation is key.

The elongated shape of the puck also helps prevent digging in, promoting a sliding action to further reduce that leverage force.

It looks like the main load is still on the bolt going through the spar, but should be spread through that plate to the engine cover bolt pattern. Better than a generic single point 'slider'.

The rail systems stunters developed go one better and tie into the frame at multiple points.... Far stronger, overall.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Ordered! I’ll post an update when they’re on the bike.

Did you ever end up installing these? They look like a good alternative to GB racing or R&G case savers. Mainly because it would probably save some damage to bodywork. They don’t mount to the frame spar like typical frame sliders which is a plus too. They mount with a bracket to the existing engine cover mounting points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
That seems like it would put a lot of stress on parts of the engine should it hit the pavement.

That’s the one thing I’d be concerned about is it being grabbed along the way in a crash and creating enough leverage to rip a chunk off of an engine cover. I do think it would lessen the direct impact to the engine on the initial hit though.
I’ve crashed on the stator side with an R&G cover once, and a GB racing cover another. My clip ons, bodywork and rearsets took the brunt in both crashes. The R&G actually gouged the stator cover underneath it, and was left pretty thin. It was basically one and done. The GB racing cover did hold up better(in a faster crash), but my bodywork, clip ons, and rearsets took a beating.

I have never run actual frame sliders due to our frame design, but damn it’d be nice to have some sort of extra protection so that I’m not spending all day trying to piece my bike back together in case of a crash.
They do look low profile enough to aid in a slide, and since they are made by Kawasaki I would hope there was some R&D done with them. It’d be nice to hear if anyone has used or tested them though lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts