Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy! I just bought a third-hand 1999 ZX-6R that, from the looks of it, was modified for racing (I think). It came with no turn signals (just ordered flush lights F and R), fried tires, no hbar ends, and what looks like a spray paint job on aftermarket fairings. I can't tell if the rear wiring is even there since I can't get the damn rear seat off. Is there a switch or key lock I'm not seeing? Also the front lower cowling is loose, as there are no bolts holding it on (glad it didn't come off when I test-rode it!) BTW, this is my 8th bike (first Kawasaki!) Here's the breakdown of my past rides:

'82 Honda Twinstar (Started riding in Sept '94)
'82 GX(?)-500
'85 Interceptor 500 (Crashed, not my fault, broke leg, finger and spleen)
'92 F2 600 (Stolen in NOLA)
'92 Suzuki GS-500E
Suzuki 400 dirt bike
Honda 600 dirt bike

Love the board! Glad I found this place!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, but luckily it's all cosmetic, nothing mechanical except replacing a hose clamp on the fuel filter. Do you know how to get the passenger seat off so I can check the wiring?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nomally a race seat would be gels by a few bolts and thats it! post a small pic if you fancy to see if anyone has a similar seat and or problems. A normal seat has a key lock on the left (if your looking from behind bike). Like i say look for a few bolts ubder the seat, sounds simple and these things normally are. Have fun, all the best.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah, there's should be a key hole under the subframe on the left side of the bike to release the seat. Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tanks, I'll try that. I'm going to a Kawa dealership in VA later to get the lower cowling bolts & washers and hose clamp. I'll try not to spend too much in the accessories dept :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's not a total race bike, just a half-assed mod. Whoever owned it before just put on custom race fairings, nothing mechanical or otherwise looks modded. It's the original seat, and luckily, all the stock fairing mounts are in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts