Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow motorcyclists!
I've a bunch of noob questions regarding track days.

I've never been on a track before and just signed-up for STT's 2 days Tallageda GP (09/26/20-09/27/20).

My questions are:
1) Trailer
In case I won't find a company to lift me and my bike I plan to rent an U-Haul motorcycle trailer and hitch it with my small sedan.
Any possible pitfalls with this setup?

2) Gas
There won't be gasoline available. How much should I bring for a 2 days? Or just a full tank would be enough?

3) Camping
As far as I understand there is no secure place to drop bike overnight so the only option is to do camping right next to it?
What is a must have for the camping (tent, sleeping bag, cookware, etc)? Have no camping supplies at all.
What food is a most painless choose for 2 days? Canned food and water? :)
Is it possible to survive without AC? :)

4) Any other advises?

Thanks in advance!

BTW I'm from Atlanta, GA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
make sure in advance U-Haul will rent you a trailer that will tow your bike.

Bring at least one full 5 gal tank, bring a camp chair, a pop up 10x10 tent, (tie downs and weights incase of wind)

camping is ok if you Have a plush setup but track riding is exhausting and you’ll have aches in places you didn’t expect, might want to spring for a cheap motel!

lots of water/electrolytes if hot, and bring some caffeine if your a regular coffee drinker.

long sleeve under armour shirt, long underwear tall socks less chafing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
might want to spring for a cheap motel!
Thanks for the answer!
What are my options in case I get there with U-Haul open trailer? Where could I securely store bike overnight? Don't want to leave my bike unattended in the parking lot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I dunno, a big ass cable or chain? my last 2 track days I stayed at a bed and breakfast so nice private driveway no theft worries.

don’t forget a hat, and the tool box with set of metric wrenches, Allen keys, Duct tape and zip ties!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey fellow motorcyclists!
I've a bunch of noob questions regarding track days.

I've never been on a track before and just signed-up for STT's 2 days Tallageda GP (09/26/20-09/27/20).

My questions are:
1) Trailer
In case I won't find a company to lift me and my bike I plan to rent an U-Haul motorcycle trailer and hitch it with my small sedan.
Any possible pitfalls with this setup?

2) Gas
There won't be gasoline available. How much should I bring for a 2 days? Or just a full tank would be enough?

3) Camping
As far as I understand there is no secure place to drop bike overnight so the only option is to do camping right next to it?
What is a must have for the camping (tent, sleeping bag, cookware, etc)? Have no camping supplies at all.
What food is a most painless choose for 2 days? Canned food and water? :)
Is it possible to survive without AC? :)

4) Any other advises?

Thanks in advance!

BTW I'm from Atlanta, GA.
Turn the a/c off when you are pulling the trailer down the highway.

One full tank and 5 gallons in a jerry can should get you through one day.

If they allow camping at the track, just sleep in your car.

Bring plenty of water and just have fun, its fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
And get to thee track early..Its a bit disorienting since youve never been. I just did one after a 25 year layoff. Have you broken in your leathers a little..at least the boots..wear them as much as possible as they will be stiff as hell.
Tire pressure gauge..have a good one? Pressure is important, they will help you at the track with that. Also look for the suspension guy..he can help with that. Cheap motel and a super lock and chain..maybe chain it to the car or trailer..or something. You don't want to be tired..track riding is tiring enough. Don't eat a lot or drink enough coffee..its a bit of a nervous day, second day will be better. Ever ride with full leather before?..And make sure the bike is up to inspection standards. They will have a list.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Get a hotel. Stay hydrated. If something feels off go back to the pits and make sure everything is okay. Most important of all HAVE FUN!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ever ride with full leather before?
I've never ridden without full leather suit. ATGATT :)
Cheap motel and a super lock and chain
Not an option for me. "Unattended bike" equals "easy to being stolen bike". Chain won't help no matter how it thick. I've read an AMA post on a Reddit where former motorcycle thief stated that the only way to prevent your bike from being stolen is to keep it inside your own garage.
Stay hydrated
What's your opinion on Nuun hydration tablets?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've never ridden without full leather suit. ATGATT :)

Not an option for me. "Unattended bike" equals "easy to being stolen bike". Chain won't help no matter how it thick. I've read an AMA post on a Reddit where former motorcycle thief stated that the only way to prevent your bike from being stolen is to keep it inside your own garage.

What's your opinion on Nuun hydration tablets?
I mountain bike a lot and use NUUN tabs a lot, have really helped prevent post exercise headaches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Cheap tent..sleeping bag..and a big shovel..they make great weapons if anyone comes near the bike LOL. Sounds like the only option if you want to protect the bike. And bug spray..lots of bug spray. .

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
As far as a track day, here's some stuff off the top of my head:

DOT helmets (only) are not enough to get you on track.
Wear hearing protection.
Go over the general maintenance well in advance of the track. Fluids, etc.
Check the tightness of all your bolts. ALL of them.
Check out the pit area so you have an idea where you'll be. Some tracks have gravel pits, so you may want to bring a wooden board to part your bike on or at least a rug of some kind.
You will need stands, and a decent amount tools (and preferably rubber gloves).
Expect to not pass tech your first time and schedule your morning as such with buffers built-in.
Bring water and gatorade mios so you can mix as needed.
Bring a table and a chair and a pop-up canopy.
If you don't have a way to air your tires at the track, over inflate them a few PSI and check your pressure the morning of.

I've never done an overnight trip so I have no insight as to that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I was worried about unloading the bike..its a bit of a bitch..the guy next to me was having a prob with the same..I helped him..then he helped me. Its good to offer help..you will need it aas well.

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
It's not gonna get stolen. You're overthinking it. Literally EVERYONE leaves their bikes at the track. The track day community is great and people look out for each other. Random people won't be getting in. The only people that will be in the paddock overnight are people attending the track day and none of them are going to steal your bike. I've left my bikes at tracks for years, and mine don't even have keys. Anyone can turn them on and ride away with them. It just doesn't really happen. If you're really that worried about it, lock your steering and take the key away, but nobody's gonna mess with your stuff at night.

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's not gonna get stolen. You're overthinking it. Literally EVERYONE leaves their bikes at the track.
Sorry for confusion. I meant leaving at overnight on a hotel parking. I didn't say it will be unsafe at track :)
Just received confirmation that I can leave my bike overnight right at paddock. So not an issue anymore :)

·
Director of Moderation
10,139 Posts
Sorry for confusion. I meant leaving at overnight on a hotel parking. I didn't say it will be unsafe at track :)
Just received confirmation that I can leave my bike overnight right at paddock. So not an issue anymore :)
Ahh I thought you were concerned about leaving the bike at the track. Yeah of course you can do that. The paddock is pretty much the safest place to leave it at unless you have an enclosed trailer and store it there at night. But like others said...have fun...and don't forget your key! lol I've seen a guy do that once and had to call his wife who drove 3 hours each way to bring him the bike key, which also meant he missed the first 2 or 3 sessions and had a really pissed off wife! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts