Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased my 2003 ZX636 and had a few questions regarding the suspension.
I've been riding it for about two weeks now and never really noticed any suspension issues, but today I decided to ride it much harder than before and noticed my rear tire seemed to get a bit soft when cornering. First off, I'm a big guy, 6ft tall and 245-250lbs. Questions:

Should I be riding with pressures a little bit higher than recommended due to my weight?

Also, what do I need to do in regards to having my suspension set up to my weight? This bike is still set up completely stock, and I know for a fact your typical setup isn't for someone my size.

I'm pretty confident with my riding posture/position being correct, using everything I learned in the MSF course, so I'm wondering if this has to do with the tire pressure and suspension. It definitely took a little bit out of my confidence when entering corners, and that makes twisties not nearly as fun :plain:

Also, The front tire was new at purchase, rear tire has about 85% tread.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
No, pressure can differentiate depending on your style of riding
hitting the twisties, cayons, or tracks you would generally keep lower pressures I like 29/32 but thats me on the street you should keep the rated amount on what the tire states.

If you are a big guy you adjust the shock and forks to your weight.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently purchased my 2003 ZX636 and had a few questions regarding the suspension.
I've been riding it for about two weeks now and never really noticed any suspension issues, but today I decided to ride it much harder than before and noticed my rear tire seemed to get a bit soft when cornering. First off, I'm a big guy, 6ft tall and 245-250lbs. Questions:

Should I be riding with pressures a little bit higher than recommended due to my weight?

Also, what do I need to do in regards to having my suspension set up to my weight? This bike is still set up completely stock, and I know for a fact your typical setup isn't for someone my size.

I'm pretty confident with my riding posture/position being correct, using everything I learned in the MSF course, so I'm wondering if this has to do with the tire pressure and suspension. It definitely took a little bit out of my confidence when entering corners, and that makes twisties not nearly as fun :plain:

Also, The front tire was new at purchase, rear tire has about 85% tread.
Go buy a rear spring for your weight and order 1.0KG springs for your forks. It will cost you $200 for both and since you live in the ATL there are several places where you can get them serviced. Also, get the art of suspension and it will explain everything to you. Suspension is an art that is why the peeps at the track get big bucks to set it up.

Good luck....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts