Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am not an expert in mechanics or electrical wiring, but I can change the basic things on my bike when needed. However, this has got me puzzled...

My indicators worked fine for a few miles and then they wouldn't come on at all, the dash light was very dim and stayed on (the relay was clicking by this point). Cutting the engine got them working again but they soon went off. So, after searching for answers, found the solution to be a new relay, which was easy enough to replace.

The issue now is that they work fine (again for a few miles) and then both come on at the same time, like a hazard light. Once they do that there is no way to get them to go back to single signals without cutting the engine (yet again) and waiting a few minutes.

From what I have read it sounds like a short circuit, but could that same issue have caused both the above problems and is this something I could fix myself or am I looking at getting to a garage. I want to save as much money as possible but my skills are limited.

These are standard bulbs and NOT LEDS and its a P8F model, if that helps.

Gaz

·
Registered
14,137 Posts
I would expect that the wiring harness has a fault. Physical examination is going to be required, and that's something you are qualified to do.

Inspection of the harness takes good eyesight, and enough mechanical ability to spread out the wires so you can look for worn spots, rubbed off insulation, melted or burnt insulation.

The first thing I would do, is pull apart each quick disconnect in the harness, that's every plug you can pull apart.... and look for corrosion. Green, white, or powdery gray... anything that isn't shiny new metal adds resistance and that adds heat.

Cycling the connection will scrape away the corrosion on the surfaces that make contact, and correct this. Pull it apart one more time, flood the connection with dielectric grease, and reconnect. Now you have a moisture barrier to limit further problems.

If a previous owner has modified anything, that is a high probability point of failure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts