Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to gamble and buy a 2009 that was left outside over the winter here in NC.

Won't start and the gas smelled bad. Chain was rusty too.

So I'm guessing I'll need a new battery at the least, and chain (may get a sprocket kit), and hopefully I can drain the old gas out and spray down the carbs with carb cleaner and the bike will start up without too much more elbow grease.

At the worse, I'm looking at a new gas tanks, carb rebuild and fuel injectors? Anyone else care to guess? I've never bought a non-running bike before, but this is a great deal.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Please don't buy that, usually when you gamble you loose. Do some research first on the possible effects on a bike left outside during winter. Especially this past winter. Not for nothing but it's fuel injected and does't have carbs. Worst case you part it out and get your money back. Your call....

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
Please don't buy that, usually when you gamble you loose. Do some research first on the possible effects on a bike left outside during winter. Especially this past winter. Not for nothing but it's fuel injected and does't have carbs. Worst case you part it out and get your money back. Your call....
^^ What he said. Not worth it. You can't polish a turd.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm a sucker for unwanted, neglected, and abused motorcycles. If the deal is far too good to pass up, and you're handy with a wrench, then why not? I look at the receipts for the money I have into my 919 and my '00 ZX6r, and it's debatable I didn't save any money fixing up a thrashed bike, but at the end of the day I've built a bike with my own two hands and it's finished off the way I want it.

I really hate to see a bike ran into the ground and thrown to the side and left to die. Especially an '09! That's still a new bike when compared to everything I own :laugh I hope it is a screaming deal, and there aren't any catches (like a lien on the title or it was ran out of oil)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
I'm with Flip on this one, but everyone is different. I'm currently navigating my own "gamble" on this 06 and I'm now in the home stretch with a few weeks to go. I've been through this thing top to bottom and I'll feel really good about building up a solid bike once she's done. Id' say go for it, lol.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm with Flip on this one, but everyone is different. I'm currently navigating my own "gamble" on this 06 and I'm now in the home stretch with a few weeks to go. I've been through this thing top to bottom and I'll feel really good about building up a solid bike once she's done. Id' say go for it, lol.
I am. Sometimes you just gotta take a leap of faith. Brought my buddy, who's been flipping bikes for centuries and he likes it. lol.

Hopefuly my gamble will pay off, and yours too.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm a sucker for unwanted, neglected, and abused motorcycles. If the deal is far too good to pass up, and you're handy with a wrench, then why not? I look at the receipts for the money I have into my 919 and my '00 ZX6r, and it's debatable I didn't save any money fixing up a thrashed bike, but at the end of the day I've built a bike with my own two hands and it's finished off the way I want it.

I really hate to see a bike ran into the ground and thrown to the side and left to die. Especially an '09! That's still a new bike when compared to everything I own :laugh I hope it is a screaming deal, and there aren't any catches (like a lien on the title or it was ran out of oil)
The bike IS a screaming deal, which I don't want to jinx by mentioning the price, just yet. lol.

I'll let you guys in on the details once I get the bike home and looked at.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Sweet, good luck man! After the few I've help restore/rebuild it seems if the motor and frame are solid, go for it at the right price. You've just got to enjoy wrenching and reading, lol.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By the way, how loud are Two Brothers carbon fiber slip ons. I had a Yoshi R-77 on my CBR1000RR and that was loud enough. Not sure if I can handle even louder.

I'll also trade someone my Zero Gravity double bubble dark gray windscreen if I get the bike. I like the OEM version better. I know I can't post in the classified section just yet, so I'm just throwing that out there. Hopefully, i'll meet requirements eventually.

Here's a picture of the bike I get (HOPEFULLY).

lol

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
By the way, how loud are Two Brothers carbon fiber slip ons. I had a Yoshi R-77 on my CBR1000RR and that was loud enough. Not sure if I can handle even louder.

I'll also trade someone my Zero Gravity double bubble dark gray windscreen if I get the bike. I like the OEM version better. I know I can't post in the classified section just yet, so I'm just throwing that out there. Hopefully, i'll meet requirements eventually.

Here's a picture of the bike I get (HOPEFULLY).

lol
Holy Shit Balls. Totally Wowed. I replied to your other thread. If she does not start or the engine is seized. You can def. pick up an engine for that year for a good price. I think you should name her Christine. If she starts. Keep us informed. She does look super nice. And she is dirty too.

·
Registered
232 Posts
About to gamble and buy a 2009 that was left outside over the winter here in NC.

Won't start and the gas smelled bad. Chain was rusty too.

So I'm guessing I'll need a new battery at the least, and chain (may get a sprocket kit), and hopefully I can drain the old gas out and spray down the carbs with carb cleaner and the bike will start up without too much more elbow grease.

At the worse, I'm looking at a new gas tanks, carb rebuild and fuel injectors? Anyone else care to guess? I've never bought a non-running bike before, but this is a great deal.
Carbs? on a fuel injected bike?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts