Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there my 93 zx6 has been giving me trouble. At first it was having a rough time starting up on a colder summer morning. At one point I ended up running the battery trying to start it until it couldn't turn the starter. I jumped the battery with a ca it started. I ride for a short period turn it off then it won't start. I jump again, it starts. Then I go to turn it on the oil and neutral Come on but when I fire the start button I hear one click and the oil and neutral light go off. I take key out and try again the next day. Both lights/headlight Come on and it starts. Didn't ride it just shut it down. I try again later on and the oil/neutral come on but when I hit start button they turn off and I hear the same one click simultaneously. Now the oil/neutral won't come on at all with key in On position. There's no horn, no headlight tail light turn signals nothing. So far I've checked fuses which are fine. And I've charged the battery with my charger. Voltage is fine without a load. I can't exactly test it with a load because the lights won't even come on. What do I do? I need to ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I'm messing around with my multimeter, just checking the voltage under a load....and all the lights come on.....can someone enlighten me as t what the f*** is going on so it doesn't die on me 30 miles away at work?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Btw the same thing I described before happens when I hit start button. One click and lights turn off

·
Registered
14,190 Posts
So I'm messing around with my multimeter, just checking the voltage under a load....and all the lights come on.....can someone enlighten me as t what the f*** is going on so it doesn't die on me 30 miles away at work?
With the key in the Off position, use the multimeter to measure across the battery terminals. The battery should read about 12.3 VDC if it's fully charged.

Lights off, with the ignition on, without starting the bike.... the voltage should still be 12 VDC.

Lights on, ignition on without starting, you should still be very close to 12 VDC.... but it will likely go down a little. 11.8 or so, I would hazard a guess.

With the bike running at 2,000 RPM or more, you should see 13+ VDC at the battery. If this is not the case, you need to figure out why.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The battery is toast, take it to AutoZone and have them bench test it. I'm willing to bet it's a bad battery. The battery should have a date etched into it if it doesn't have a date sticker. What's that date?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts