Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to DMV today to take my road test only to find out that my brake lights are not working. neither the front nor the back are signaling. the tail light is working just fine. I checked the fuse under the seat and it's intact as well. as far as I can tell the tail light is an led assembly so cant change a bulb like I was hoping. I need some help guys. what you suggest I do?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Very confused...so the brake lights aren't working, but you say the "tail light is working fine." You also mention that you can't change the bulb...which makes me think it's not actually working fine or you wouldn't want to change the bulb...:O

Help me understand what you're saying so I can help you :bigthumb:

·
Registered
366 Posts
Is it an oem tail light? I integrated? Are you referring to the brake light or the turn signals since you said neither the front nor the back are signaling?

If its the blinkers, check the connections. If its an aftermarket tail, could just be the thing pooped out. But it could also be that the connector going into the tail got rattled out of place. If that's not the issue, inspect the wires for any frays, cuts, or any damage. See if its a grounding issue.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Basically he is saying its an aftermarket taillight with the very common issue of it only illuminating but not brightening when the brake lever is pulled or pressed.

You need to pull the tail, put a resistor to it to make such you are getting current, check all the wiring and determine if its Chinese junk like always or if your wires/connection/ground is bad

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah its what ssgsxr is saying. when I turn on the bike the tail light comes on but when I pull either the front or back pedals it doesn't brighten as a brake light should. it was on the bike when I bought it and to be honest never thought to check to see if it worked. it could have been like this the whole time. the dmv lady was nice enough to point it out for me and not allow me to take the test lol.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
yeah its what ssgsxr is saying. when I turn on the bike the tail light comes on but when I pull either the front or back pedals it doesn't brighten as a brake light should. it was on the bike when I bought it and to be honest never thought to check to see if it worked. it could have been like this the whole time. the dmv lady was nice enough to point it out for me and not allow me to take the test lol.
Easy quick fix... go to a local dealer or motorcycle place, order a new aftermarket tail 30-80+ dollars, wait 2-3 days install and boom problem fixed... Unless on craigslist you can find someone local parting one out and get an OEM tail from them.

That is the non troubleshooting route. IMO much simpler. Those LED tails never last more than a few months regardless, just cheaply made.

·
Administrator
13,338 Posts
Is the switch hooked up to anything?

Ey3

·
Registered
366 Posts
Easy quick fix... go to a local dealer or motorcycle place, order a new aftermarket tail 30-80+ dollars, wait 2-3 days install and boom problem fixed... Unless on craigslist you can find someone local parting one out and get an OEM tail from them.

That is the non troubleshooting route. IMO much simpler. Those LED tails never last more than a few months regardless, just cheaply made.
+1....

My smoked Chinese crap worked for almost a year and a few weeks ago my friends said my couldn't tell which way I was turning. Looked like my brake lights would just flash when I hit the turn signals. Come to find out the orange LEDs in that china crap are really dim now. Piece of crap. Gonna just go with a clear alternatives or back to oem ones. Spend the extra on a quality part.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah I assume its all hooked up. I really have no idea only had the bike a few months. never knew there was a problem till about and hour ago. might just try gsxr's idea the assembly itself might just be faulty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my turn signals are separate from my tail/brake light. the turn signals are working fine. its just the differentiating from running lights to brake light is whats killing me.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Is the switch hooked up to anything?

Ey3
Has to be if his blinkers are working... and blinker fluid levels are good.

Which goes back to vibrations from the tail knocking shit out. And usually intergrated ones are all red with yellow mixed in for the turns (seeing as red blinkers are somewhat illegal) meaning that could be wired wrong or could just be the main red ones that have been rattled loose from connections.

Easier to just buy a new one than take a day or 2 troubleshooting to find out you need a new one regardless. Plus he doesn't have to worry about anything else since it would be new.

·
Administrator
13,338 Posts
I would first check to see if the switch is connected. If you post a picture of the underside of the front master cylinder that could help.

Ey3

·
Administrator
13,338 Posts
Has to be if his blinkers are working... and blinker fluid levels are good.

Which goes back to vibrations from the tail knocking shit out. And usually intergrated ones are all red with yellow mixed in for the turns (seeing as red blinkers are somewhat illegal) meaning that could be wired wrong or could just be the main red ones that have been rattled loose from connections.

Easier to just buy a new one than take a day or 2 troubleshooting to find out you need a new one regardless. Plus he doesn't have to worry about anything else since it would be new.
The brake switch is on a different circuit iirc from the turn signals. If it is integrated then there may be some funky wiring under the covers...

Ey3

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
The brake switch is on a different circuit iirc from the turn signals. If it is integrated then there may be some funky wiring under the covers...

Ey3
They are spliced... Its cut, ohm splice, ground done... Nothing fancy about it. I bet if he pulled the rear seat/cowl he could do a quick 1 over on it and see if they are all properly spliced... but still a long shot seeing as he doesn't know the brand or proper connections with no instruction from it.

It could just turn into a mess of a guessing game. Would you want to deal with that?

·
Administrator
13,338 Posts
They are spliced... Its cut, ohm splice, ground done... Nothing fancy about it. I bet if he pulled the rear seat/cowl he could do a quick 1 over on it and see if they are all properly spliced... but still a long shot seeing as he doesn't know the brand or proper connections with no instruction from it.

It could just turn into a mess of a guessing game. Would you want to deal with that?
I believe you are missing what I am saying.

The switch on the master cylinder which triggers the brake light. Iirc it's just a plastic plug with little to no detent.

There was a user a few months back who had similar issues, turned out his switch was not connected.

Ey3

·
Registered
432 Posts
Make sure the top center pin on your tail light plug is not pressed in or bent. That wire is the one that controls your brake light function.

That's what was wrong with mine.

·
Administrator
13,338 Posts
how do I post pictures? I took pic of my tail end but I dunno how to attach it
Grab one of the under side of your clipon as well please.

Ey3

1 - 20 of 37 Posts