Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2007 ninja 650 at an auction on a whim. Initially I was thinking I’d throw a big bore kit and a zx6 front end on it and race the thing. But, after disassembling the bike I’ve now realized how much a piece of hot garbage these things are. It’s heavy and it looks very not racy. I don’t know if I should part it out or just give it a shot. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Get it running and sell it or part it out and buy a ZX6R. You’ll spend more money trying to transform it into a ZX6R.

·
Registered
8,510 Posts
I have a few race prepped ones as customers
they can make decent power and decent handling, but like all those twins you need to spend more on the work and parts than the whole bike cost brand spanking new

Are you willing to throw atleast $7000 at it to be a real racebike that stops and handles and has plenty of power in twins class (not MA twins class.then you would need to spend about $12k and even then the Aprilia RS660 would kick its ass up and down)
or you could go simple and race for the fun of racing and not chasing wins and simply spend the $3000ish it likely needs to be race ready and safe and fun

Racebikes aren't cheap if you really want the suspension set up well and everything to work to be competitive.but old racebikes are dirt cheap, in part because the stuff is worn out and broken and usually non competitive any longer

·
Director of Moderation
7,639 Posts
You'll need to put a lot of money and effort to make it a decent race bike. Not worth it IMO. There's a reason nobody's really racing those bikes, let alone that generation. I know of only one guy on the east coast that races one and when I get in his draft with good exit out of turns leading onto the straights I can keep up with him on my 400. He's a bigger guy, but so am I. And it's not skill because he has a ZX6R too just like mine and we're very similar pace on those. It's just that the 650 is a turd.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All valid points. Anybody need parts for a 650 ninja? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts