Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying my first bike sometime within the next few months. I really was quite keen on the Yamaha R6 or the Honda CBR600. Being the female that I am I am finding myself quite picky about the bike's appearance. Then I stumbled upon the Ninja and I am kindof in love! Anyways, I have been told by multiple people that a ~600 isn't too much bike for me if I take it slow. I am also enrolled in a class and plan on taking more before I jump in and buy one. I have extensive experience on ATVs, but I know that a bike is a totally different animal. I don't find wheelies, or going 100mph tempting at all.

My question is this: Is starting out with a 600 unreasonable? Many people say a 250 will just get boring too quickly, and quite honestly, I feel that if I was looking at a 250 I might as well look at a fast vespa instead. (aside from the fact that bikes=the sex.)

Also! I am 5'4, 135 lbs. Am I going to need to lower this beast?

·
Registered
7 Posts
nothing wrong with starting on a 250 or even a 500. your first bike definitely won't be your last. besides, you can sell the little ninjas a lot easier than you can any of the 600s.
A late model 600 is not a good begineer bike IMO.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
u looking at new ones?

i've started on a 600 and it's fine with me so far. just don't be stupid and learn the bike before gunning it or running it hard and you'll be fine. oh, and, take turns really slowly

·
Registered
96 Posts
Any bike can to be to much for a beginner rider.

It comes down to the rider and their ability learn, not do to much to fast or ride beyond their skills

You sound very mature and intelligent and are doing the right thing by taking the class.

If the bike is a great deal and you love it go for it.

Please make sure if you buy a used bike you have a knowledgeable motorcycle mechanic take a look at it as it is easy to slap on new body work and cover up major damage.

One more thing wear your gear being DOT/SNELL approved helmet, full finger gloves, boots, CE approved jacket and long pants. I cannot tell you how much carnage I have seen over the years because folk refuse to wear gear.

Here is a quick test. Put on shorts and a t shirt and have your friend drag you down the street slowly and see how much damage it does to your skin. No imaging doing that at speed.

Feel free to post up any more question as there are many here will to help.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Would probably be best to start out on a 250. Simply for your own personal safety and everyone else's. A 250 is a hell of a lot more forgiving than a 600. If you are a very confident rider I'd say go with the 600 but if you are nervous at all the 250 is the way to go. Just one accidental twist of the throttle or eager grab of the front brakes will land you arse over tit. A 600 has much better brakes and obviously a much more sensitive throttle, most 250's will give you a little bit of leeway. They are also a lot more confident inspiring than a 600. The power will slap you in the face on the 600 but with a 250 it's usually gradual and less likely to land you in trouble.

Also, it's your first bike, it's not a case of if you drop it it's a case of when! It's best to learn how to keep these things upright in all situations with a crappy 250 instead of a shiny new bike. You're likely to endure a nervous breakdown after watching a brand new bike rub itself up against the bitumen like it has mange. It will happen and you will want to become homicidal. I've heard this is bad so a 250 would be the way to go while you get through the 'Woops!' stage :)

Great that you are enrolling in a class, you obviously have a good head on your shoulders. You only have to be on the 250 for 6 months to a year until you feel you've outgrown it in skill (not power). I started out on a 250 when I was 16 and went to the 600 when I was 18. The 250 taught me things the 600 simply couldn't. That doesn't mean everyone should start on a 250 but I personally think it would be a wise move.

Concerning the height thing. If you do get a 600, if it's a sportsbike you're probably gonna have to get it lowered. I'm 5'2 and mine has been lowered and I can still only touch with onefoot on tippie toes. My mum is 5'4 and she's much the same (But it depends on your inseam length, not your actual height) so there's another reason to start off on a 250, they're a lot lower. I'm confident enough with my bike it doesn't bother me at all but whack a newbie in the same situation and I'm not sure they'd be so smiley.

Anyway, it's your decision, just go with what you feel comfortable with. And make sure you test ride them, too! You'll get the bike you like the best and it's maybe the most fun thing you can do! Get the prettiest colored one, too. Shame bikes don't come in pink, eh?

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you take it careful you'll love the ninja and you defo won't get bored, kinda sounds like you've already got your heart set on one anyway so I don't suppose anything anyone says will put you off lol I started off on 125cc for a couple of bikes then went straight to a 650 sports bike..was a big hike and certainly took me a bit by surprise when overtaking a few cars (with ease) I look down and am doing 130 mph! You really can't imagine how fast these bikes are until you ride them, they're awesome though and like I said if you've got your head screwed on and are prepared to take it steady for a while whilst you get used to the handling etc then you'll be ok.
250 cc in all fairness is the sensible option but it's a major pain in the ass having to ride it for a while then sell it then look for a ninja..sensible options suck :) you'll only spend the whole time on the 250 wanting a 600 lol
As far as height is concerned i'm 5' 4 / 5' 5 and can get my feet down ok, I just shuffle over in the seat so I can get one foot planted which is fine for me. It's a little dodgy, for me at least taking someone on the back when they're getting on as I need to make sure i've got as much contact with the floor as pos. It would probably be a whole lot easier if mine was lowered but I don't have the money lol

·
Registered
894 Posts
I found the 02 636 a great bike to learn on.

I found the 04 636 to unforgiving and therefore prolly not the best to learn on

I found the 06 636 a great bike and would recommend it for a newbie rider with a little bit of experience.

But they are all definatley sexy bikes... :devious

·
Registered
215 Posts
i would take the quite road off 250 first as the 636 can be unforgiving at times but there are still some quick 250 bikes out there i had 250 2 srokes first then went to a 400 and the 250 was way more fun then the 400 but now would not trade my 636 for nothing its here to stay good luck with what ever you choose and remember it when you bin your first bike not if you bin it

·
Registered
503 Posts
go for a 250 / 400 first.
600's are fine if you're pretty confident BUT given your height, i'd go for the lighter more manegable smaller bikes first. THEY'RE STILL FUN!!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the replies! I really do want to be smart about this. I have had multiple frends react really negatively to my interest in getting any bike ("you are going to kill yourself" "you are already dead"), so this is def. refreshing. I believe my expectations to be realistic. I don't really know if people hate it because I am a girl or what. Either way, I am still pretty psyched.

The years I would be looking into would be something like an 03 or 04 mainly because they are fuel injected that year for most bikes (?). I am pretty mechanically retarded, but I have been told that the FIed ones are more smooth to drive and more durable that the carbs. But, like I said, I wouldn't know any better anyways. Thoughts? The idea of having a NEW bike would be terrifying; I'd rather have someone else have put that traumatic first scratch on it before I get to do any damage.

The only bike I have been on so far (riding on the back, of course) is a yamaha R1. It was quite a rush, but I could tell that I would never want anything that fast. I don't need speed to get a thrill out of being on a bike. Being on the back of one was even thrilling! =]

I just recently bought myself an Icon helmet that I love and I've already selected my jacket, gloves, boots, ect.

I think my choice will come down to finding that GREAT price/deal at the right time. (Nothing over a 636 of course! I kind of like being alive)

Oh and GreaseMonkey, happy birthday to you too! Its great to be a leo.

·
Registered
503 Posts
03-04 zx6r IS fuel injected and pretty smooth too as you stated. Suspension is pretty stiff and harsh though, nice if you like that (i do!) and makes for an exciting ride BUT probably a little too much for a first bike. Quarkz has lowered her 6 so that's definitely do-able too.
I too am not much of a straight line speed thrills seeker (although, just occasionally, you just HAVE to wind it on!) and sit nearly everwhere at 80-90mph, i just have my fun on the twisty bits!
Find a bike that is comfortable for your height and build and that you feel you can control, not the other way around. Then you should be fine. Learn to ride it stage by stage and build your confidence up.
ANY bike will go MUCH quicker than a car, it's all up to the person on board how that power and acceleration is used and controlled - REMEMBER - the throttle goes in BOTH directions!!!

Above all - GET A BIKE!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Indeed it is :) leos are great, not that we're biased or anything.
Fuel Injection is definately more sorted than the carbs plus the older model of ninja i.e. pre 03-04 is quite alot bigger. I got the 03 B1H model for a really good price and it's so sweet. Don't listen to the doomsters, they obv. don't appreciate how riding makes you feel! I feel really alive when riding, you only get one shot at life and I need more than a 9-5 and flashy car to make me feel like its worth it! Anyway enough of the deep stuff lol
On a slightly different note, I don't know if any of your friends ride horses but in a recent bike magazine over here in the UK an insurance company found you're 21, yes 21 times more likely to be injured/killed on a horse than you are on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL! I do ride horses! I am just stacking the odds against myself, aren't I? =P

Anyways, there is a used bike place a few miles away and I might try to find my way down there this afternoon just to sit on a few different ones. I'll be sure to keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I taught my girl to ride on a used CB 750 and she did fine.

Dasha if you dig the bike buy it. If you find out it is not for you that just sell it.

No need to stress over it, just go for it and as long as you wear your gear and ride smart you will be fine.

Hell you may be posting up soon about how you were dragging your knee at your last track day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I kindof love you guys <3
Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you all updated!

and thank you sampson, your icon is very... buoyant. =P

·
Squid Forever , Yes it's a conspiracy
2,271 Posts
I kindof love you guys <3
Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep you all updated!

and thank you sampson, your icon is very... buoyant. =P
ohh you are welcome.. yeah i like my avatar, keeps everyone from knowing my true intention and that is to take over the site..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts