Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to add another bike to my collection. I've narrowed my choices down to either a 2019 Z900 or a 2015 Mv Agusta Dragster 800 (3k miles). I'd say I like the style of the dragster a little more but with a few modifications to the Z900 I could achieve a pretty similar look.

Both bikes will cost me around the same amount in cash. I know this is a Kawi form but I'm really interested what will be the better bike in the long run.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Motorcycles are not economic decisions. Emotionally, which one will cost you the most?

I can't see how the Agusta would be anything but a high maintenance, hot mess. The brand new Kawasaki is likely a lot more like the cute girl next door.....

There is value, in each. Depends upon your intentions.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Old thread revival!! I miss you guys and wanted to throw an update up.. I ended up going with a 2015 MV Agusta Dragster 800 just shy of 1,100 miles. I've been riding it for a few months now and am in love with it!

I've only ever ridden super sports so the comfort of the upright position is amazing. It also came with a quick shifter, ABS brakes, traction control, and 4 different engine modes. All of which I have no clue how to use yet

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
I could look the numbers up, but it's easier to ask you. :) What is the weight, wheel base, hp?

Can't tell from your photos, where are the footpegs?

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I could look the numbers up, but it's easier to ask you. :) What is the weight, wheel base, hp?

Can't tell from your photos, where are the footpegs?
Haha I'm happy to answer. The weight is 370lbs dry, wheel base 54.3", and HP is at 140.

As for the foot pegs they sit about where the subframe is attached to the main frame.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds like a hoot. What's difficult about the power modes? How many miles have you put on it?

What are the service intervals?
Its definitely a lot of fun man. So the power modes from what I understand are Normal, Race, Eco, and custom. With the custom mode I have 0 idea how to create a "map" so I leave it alone lol. I toyed around with the race mode when I first brought it home and the throttle is definitely way more responsive. To the point where it's near impossible to roll on the throttle without it wanting to jump. Normal mode is where I keep it which gives me a smooth acceleration.

So as of right now I've got it at almost 2,200 miles. So about 1,100 miles.

The owner manual says an oil change at 1,000 miles, 3,500 miles, and every 3k miles thereafter. The valves it calls to be done every 7.5k miles (not a fan of that). I may have to learn how to do the valves myself.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike is sexy. Do you commute? Upright is probably nice.
I appreciate that! I'm honestly obsessed with it lol. No commuting purely a pleasure vehicle. The shortest ride I ever take is like 30 minutes so it's a lot more enjoyable for myself having that comfort.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I'm looking to add another bike to my collection. I've narrowed my choices down to either a 2019 Z900 or a 2015 Mv Agusta Dragster 800 (3k miles). I'd say I like the style of the dragster a little more but with a few modifications to the Z900 I could achieve a pretty similar look.

Both bikes will cost me around the same amount in cash. I know this is a Kawi form but I'm really interested what will be the better bike in the long run.

I have owned a z800 and my buddy owns a z900. These bikes are amazingly smooth and very comfortable, I would not hesitate to get another or even look into the z1000s. I would bet that the Kawi is gonna be more comfortable, and easier to maintain. One thing everone looks past is insurance, my z800 was considered a "cruiser" on progressive so full coverage was $12 a month and I dont have the best record - something to consider

·
Registered
54 Posts
I used to work the parts/service counter at a dealership that sold MV Agusta (Echo Cycle, Edmonton). My opinion is that they are one of the least reliable modern motorcycles on earth. Constantly having customers buy a new model off the showroom floor and have it back in the shop for months (yes, plural, monthS) at a time before it even hit 500km's. Dashes stop working or get glitchy, starter sprags are a huge issue. Multiple electrical gremlins. Abundant leaks. Worst of all the parts availability is absolutely horrific. There is no stock (95% of parts are made to order), no dealer support, and they don't really care. You'll get it when you get it and there is literally FA you can do about it.

If you order a part at the end of July it get's bumped in to September because they take August (all of August every year) off. September/October is consumed with the backlog from August, and they're back to "business as usual" sometime around halloween. By business as usual I mean we're down to two months parts availability again. But the part you ordered in July will get to your dealership or door around November. This is totally normal behavior for them.

The MV bikes themselves are beautiful and a blast to ride. Lightweight, low CG, very mechanical feel and totally different than a Japanese bike in nearly every way. Power delivery is awesome, and one of the best sounding stock pipes I've ever heard. But they're lumps of unreliability made of unobtanium and if I got one for free I wouldn't ride it, I'd sell it before it broke.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I used to work the parts/service counter at a dealership that sold MV Agusta (Echo Cycle, Edmonton). My opinion is that they are one of the least reliable modern motorcycles on earth. Constantly having customers buy a new model off the showroom floor and have it back in the shop for months (yes, plural, monthS) at a time before it even hit 500km's. Dashes stop working or get glitchy, starter sprags are a huge issue. Multiple electrical gremlins. Abundant leaks. Worst of all the parts availability is absolutely horrific. There is no stock (95% of parts are made to order), no dealer support, and they don't really care. You'll get it when you get it and there is literally FA you can do about it.

If you order a part at the end of July it get's bumped in to September because they take August (all of August every year) off. September/October is consumed with the backlog from August, and they're back to "business as usual" sometime around halloween. By business as usual I mean we're down to two months parts availability again. But the part you ordered in July will get to your dealership or door around November. This is totally normal behavior for them.

The MV bikes themselves are beautiful and a blast to ride. Lightweight, low CG, very mechanical feel and totally different than a Japanese bike in nearly every way. Power delivery is awesome, and one of the best sounding stock pipes I've ever heard. But they're lumps of unreliability made of unobtanium and if I got one for free I wouldn't ride it, I'd sell it before it broke.
That's some funny shit there.......that is one of the many reasons why Japanese bikes like the Ninja are so popular with me. I have a 12'ZX10R and a 13'Zx6r and that's all I need. They just keep on going with gas and an oil change.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Funny stuff. I was waiting for someone to comment on the reliability - I have heard they are pretty bad but I personally dont have any experiences with them.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I already have my next bike - BMW F800GT. Not near as fast and sexy as the ZX6R but very nice for long trips. In 14 months of ownership I've taken three long trips. 4,200 3,900 and 5,300 miles and have put almost 20,000 miles on it. Problems 1 - it overheated at the end of my last trip - yes 2 miles from home. It was due to low coolant in the radiator which was either due to BMW or the dealer who has done all of the service since new (why I like to do my own work). It's the first bike I have ever had service at the dealer and only because I bought a 3 year unlimited mileage service agreement and it is still under warranty.

As for the MV's they are beautiful fast bikes but I'm scared of the reliability. Were not many bike shops in Arco, Idaho and rode some long lonely stretches. Someone recently told me of a MV fuel pump problem, appears they are only lasting about 2,000 miles and many owners are taking a spare with them. In the past looked at a Daytona 675 but passed due to parts and reliability concerns. A lot of folks think they know how to work on Japanese I4 engines and parts are generally available and most importantly they don't break down. One time was scanning listing for GSXRs and was amazed at how many there were with high milage - 40,000 and up! That's a lot of T-shirt and flip flop wear. :) Ducati fall into the same concern, not sure about the reliability. Next summer planning on riding to the California and making a loop up thru Oregon and Washington and maybe Canada on the way back. In Arco Idaho talked to a fella from NC on a VStrom 650 on his way back from Alaska.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
Were not many bike shops in Arco, Idaho and rode some long lonely stretches.
Idaho represent! I've been here 11 years now and have only been to Arco this last year... Driven through there 6 times now... That is some lonely stuff, also scary with all the RVs and shit coming at ya on the two-lane and that's in my F150.. :(

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

Thanks for your input on this. I became aware of the sprag shortly after I purchased my 2015 dragster. Mine has not been replaced as of yet and I'm praying it doesn't have to be. You'd know better than I. However, I personally have not heard or seen anyone on the MV fourms having electrical or fuel pump issues. Perhaps they corrected them?

Luckily MV released an updated sprag a few years back to correct that issue. There's a good number of users on there that have clocked well over 60k miles on their bikes with only performing basic maintenance. I can only hope I grabbed a good one like theirs. I truly do love this bike and have a blast riding it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts