Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys? I'm new here. I've been reading over a lot of the threads, even though most of you here have bikes a lot newer than mine. I'm new to the bike work, I learned to ride last June and I'm trying to broaden my knowledge from cars to include bikes. My bike is a 1995 Ninja zx6-r with 12,000 miles, nothing amazing compared to what I see on here but it's my first bike and I'm happy with it.

I am having a problem that I will try to explain as good as I can:

When accelerating on my bike, or even at a constant speed, there is some some of hesitation between about 2700 and 4000 RPM's. It sort of feels like it is clogging, or like one of the (cylinders in the car) might not be firing. I'm assuming for the bike it means it could be a carb problem? Basically going from a stop, or any acceleration which starts from an RPM less than 5,000 RPM, the bike will almost bog down/hesitate between those RPM's and then kick in and be fine after it. Even a steady state of speed is hard to accomplish in this RPM range. The hesitation never fully goes away, but after the bike is sufficiently warmed, about 20-30 minutes of riding on a good day, it is almost unnoticeable but is clearly there.

Some things I have heard from friends are that it could be a problem in the carb's synchronization or that I need a carb clean. Does this seem right? or is there something else that could be going wrong? What should I do?

also....the previous owner said that he had "gone up two teeth in the sprocket" I am assuming that means he purchased a bigger sprocket. The bike is VERY torquey, almost too much especially for a new rider. It is very hard to go at slow speeds with the bike, U-Turns are especially hard and you need to feather the clutch like a pro (has kind of been good because I have began to be pretty decent with the clutch). He says he did this because he didn't care about high speed, he stunted and wanted low end power for acceleration and being able to get up a wheelie.

Now I am thinking about going down to the OEM sprocket assuming that it will take away from the huge torque. My question is this: Will going down to the OEM sprocket make the bike a lot slower acceleration wise? Will the slower speeds actually be a lot smoother?

I clearly don't know much and I am just looking for some suggestions... If anyone could help that would be great

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey congrats on the new bike. as for the carb question i would definatly get the carb completely cleaned out. My buddy had a bike and had to get his carb cleaned every 10,000 or so. that puts you right there. also with the previous owner stunting it probably didn't help the carb out. I would start there. as for the sprocket change. You can go back to a normal sprocket but you may have to also purchase a new chain with it. make sure you check. doing the sprocket change will give it a little less torque but i think you would be happy with it . good luck!!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
welcome mate

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
also....the previous owner said that he had "gone up two teeth in the sprocket" I am assuming that means he purchased a bigger sprocket. The bike is VERY torquey, almost too much especially for a new rider. It is very hard to go at slow speeds with the bike, U-Turns are especially hard and you need to feather the clutch like a pro (has kind of been good because I have began to be pretty decent with the clutch).
geez...that almost sounds like he did the half throttle mod or whatever it's called so that you half to turn the throttle half as far to get it wide open...? because you should be able to go slowly just fine if there's just +2...no clutching necessary, just let it idle basically

Now I am thinking about going down to the OEM sprocket assuming that it will take away from the huge torque. My question is this: Will going down to the OEM sprocket make the bike a lot slower acceleration wise? Will the slower speeds actually be a lot smoother?
all your power is up top...a sprocket change won't make THAT much of a difference when you're going at U-turn speeds

but for going at slower speeds, i think it would be smoother and less jumpy...however, keep in mind i've not ridden with a sprocket change, so what do i know? :laugh

i know the people i ride with (some of them), have +2/-1 and they have no trouble going slowly and are definately not feathering the clutch...something sounds off to me.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
i hope you got a good deal on a bike used for stunting

but a good cleaning of the carbs and change all the fluids and just go through the bike peice by peice and clean it and inspect it if you didnt already. After that i dont know what the problem could be except maybe that throttle mod maybe

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
damn, you guys sure answer fast. but yea, I think I got a really good deal. The body is in pretty good condition just some small rock scratches on the front, nothing from being laid down. It only has 12,000 miles on it. I paid 1500.00 and He gave me a big manual for the bike, 2 helmets (one clear one tinted) a Joe Rocket Jacket, and matching Joe Rocket gloves. Over all it was a good deal? or am i wrong?

As far as stunting goes, he was not a hard core stunter, what I meant was that he said he pulled wheelies alot with it. To me thats stunting since i'm not even at the point where I would even concider that, haha. So I don't know if that makes any difference.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
As far as stunting goes, he was not a hard core stunter, what I meant was that he said he pulled wheelies alot with it. To me thats stunting since i'm not even at the point where I would even concider that, haha. So I don't know if that makes any difference.....
depends on the type of wheelie he was doing... popping the clutch to really be able to ride a wheelie eventually will wear the clutch but regardless, 1500 for the bike/gear seems like a hell of a deal to me...

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
well that could wear the clutch like yayo said and just from what you say it seems like he really rode the bike... which isnt a bad thing. I would just really check things over and keep an eye out for problems.

Anyways wheres the pic's man... we wanna see your new toy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Just keep in mind that the bike has 12 years under it's belt. So any thing fuel related (lines, carbs, filters, ect.) should be cleaned and checked out to be in good operating order. The sprocket change will make the bike less jumpy in the lower gears and help your acceleration a bit. Try a 420 kit, you can find them for under $200 which includes the chain and new sprocket. Also keep in mind that if the guy you bought the bike from liked stunting you should check out your fork seals as well 'cause they can get alot of abuse from wheelies and stoppies and such.

Good luck and Welcome to the Zone.

And post some pics dude!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well...

welcome bro.. and congrats on your bike, i know and you know that it wont be your last... any how it could be the carbs.. if its not you should have them cleaned just because(its going to need it any how and you dont know how long its been sence the old owner has done it.) and the bike well be fine if you Get that OEM. if your looking for speed just means more low end and you want top end power...

this is not much help but its what i can do to help, im like you new to fixing bikes but i have learned a lot from these guy on here... so hope this helps you and Keep the sticky side down mann...:thumbup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts