Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks im gaz from wolves in uk.. i've just got myself a nice zx6r j1 2000. It had been standing 3 months before i had it but ive done about 170 miles over the last 2 weeks and the brakes front and back were fine untill one day last week when both sets decided to bind so i looked at the rear and could see the dust seal popping out so i pulled it out and ordered a new one but its the fronts which are causing probs. Ive taken pads out and cleaned them up and taken calipers off and each piston struggled to come out so ive cleaned each one up so it moves put everything back together.... but they feel more positive under braking but they are really sticking on...but no spongyness so i dont really want to strip them as ive heard the tokios can be a pain to bleed...so help lol
Gaz

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could you be a little more detailed on what the problem is? It's very simple to bleed the brakes and can be done in about 5 min with a buddy. I would start with changing the fluid. Get a syringe and suck all the old fluid out of the resevoir and pour new in and start bleeding the brakes. After about 10-15 times on each caliper and you will have fresh and clean fluid. Make sure to keep the resevoir full.

Reactions: spykeeboi

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could you be a little more detailed on what the problem is? It's very simple to bleed the brakes and can be done in about 5 min with a buddy. I would start with changing the fluid. Get a syringe and suck all the old fluid out of the resevoir and pour new in and start bleeding the brakes. After about 10-15 times on each caliper and you will have fresh and clean fluid. Make sure to keep the resevoir full.
Hi brad thanks for the advice...I've got a eezibleed kit for a car do you think that would work on the bike as long as the cap fits the resevoir ie it won't blow any seals in the master cylinder or anything like that ??? And I've taken pads and calipers back off again and had a closer look at the pads and retaining pins and noticed there are 2 slight grooves in each pin obviously where the pads have worn into them and the holes where the pins go through the pads are quite rough and catch on the grooves on the pins..... So I'm hoping this is my problem but yeah I think new fluid may help but the fluid is clear what's in there now.... So going on what I've said would you say that could be part of the problem
Many thank
Gaz

·
Registered
4,283 Posts

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Hi brad thanks for the advice...I've got a eezibleed kit for a car do you think that would work on the bike as long as the cap fits the resevoir ie it won't blow any seals in the master cylinder or anything like that ??? And I've taken pads and calipers back off again and had a closer look at the pads and retaining pins and noticed there are 2 slight grooves in each pin obviously where the pads have worn into them and the holes where the pins go through the pads are quite rough and catch on the grooves on the pins..... So I'm hoping this is my problem but yeah I think new fluid may help but the fluid is clear what's in there now.... So going on what I've said would you say that could be part of the problem
Many thank
Gaz
Yes, the pins should be smooth. They could be binding on the pads and not letting them return properly.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Strider hit it right on point. Sounds like the pins are binding up the pads and could possibly be warped along with the grooves wore in them. I've got some. 03 6r calipers I'll sell you with brand new sintered pads in them or this could be the perfect reason to get some nissin calipers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi guys thanks for your imput....ive changed both seals in the rear and fluid and bled it works 100% better and all i done with the fronts was put new non sintered pads n cleaned pins in a drill and sanding block untill new ones come.... loads better
Thanks lads
Gaz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts