Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

plannin on taking a road trip from here in michigan to tampa, florida. (on my 07 zx6r). it's about 1250 miles, one way. planning to spread it out over 3 days riding or so, taking bad weather or holdups into account.

any tips as this will be my first long distance ride would be much appreciated.. :]

thx in advance.

(for you australian people, heres a map)

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
sounds like a nice trip ya got planned there.. Get a lambs wool seat cover, sounds gay but they take some soar ass out of your trip

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
dude.. you should so make a new route and go thru the Appalachian Mountains as much as you can.. and take lots of pictures..

have fun and be safe... your ass is gonna KILL... you should get some sort of gel pad for your seat to soften it up... my seat kills my arse after like 5 minuutes its like there is no padding.

·
Registered
124 Posts
dude.. you should so make a new route and go thru the Appalachian Mountains as much as you can.. and take lots of pictures..

have fun and be safe... your ass is gonna KILL... you should get some sort of gel pad for your seat to soften it up... my seat kills my arse after like 5 minuutes its like there is no padding.
+1

Go through Asheville, NC and plan to spend at least a half day riding back roads. It will be a, if not *the*, highlight of your trip. Case in point: Little Switzerland, Caesar's Head, Rt. 80 north and south of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Look them up, and let me know if you need more info.

·
butiwasgoingtotashistatio ntopickupsumpowerconvrtr
2,762 Posts
when it's extremely windy i find it more comfortable to tuck in rather than let the wind pound me from the front. just try to get comfy, that is quite a journey for a sportbike. find neutral whenever you dont need to be in gear to rest your clutch hand. good luck!

also, when are you going to be going through TN/GA? I will most likely be in Atlanta. If it's the week of march 17th i'll probably be in Chattanooga....it looks like you pass through both, so i could ride with you a bit then/meet up.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plan on leaving march 15, weather pending.

Meeting some friends(girls ;] ) who are flying to Tampa for spring break. Beaches and stuff, you know. Anything beats 30F and snowing like we got up here. Fucking winter.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Sounds like fun! Plannin a similar trip in May but ending destination will be Miami........

If you've never ridden a trip like this before I'd say take these tips with you.......

1. Take your time and do no do not do not over exert yourself! Remember reflexes and awareness are key when riding, if ya get tired pull over
2. Don't go it alone
3. pack lite yet smart, don't overload your bike because this will wear out the suspension, brakes and wheels, and make handling of the bike awkward and unsafe. Sport bikes arent made to carry your shit so keep that in mind when packin
4. Take rain gear and be sure have your luggage waterproofed
5. Inspect Your Bike as much as possible and make sure everything is in order
6. Plan your route out as much as possible, I'd recommend not just shootin str8 down 75 because you will be losing out on viewing a ton of great scenery and traveling amazing roads.
7. Keep in constant contact with a friend or family member letting them know where you are as much as possible
8. Wear the proper gear
9. Do a few test runs, drive for maybe an hour straight and then 2 hours and so on just to get your body (ass most specifically) used to tribulation
10. Duct Tape (cuz ya just never know and that shit fixes everything)

Have Fun!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
what ever the HW is that goes north east from knoxville looks like a better ride than stright down 70 or what ever... gotta hit up the views and shit man... why bother riding down there if u r gonna go stright down the HW? should just get a trailer and save ur bike the wear and tear and your ass the pain lol

·
Registered
900 Posts
Plenty of stops and fresh air. If you feel bushed or start making mistakes, stop, turn off the bike and have a little walk with helmet off if possible was h your face in cold water and plenty of Red Bull. Good luck should be an awesome memory.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont plan on going straight down like that, that map was just used to show people who dont know the USA how far i'm going

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
ok.. i was gonna say that trip looks boring lol
i wanna do a road trip too...

but be careful.. take a few test trips to closer places to prepare yourself for the long distance haul

1 - 13 of 13 Posts