Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the market for my first motorcycle. i'm very interested in the 2002 style ZX-6R ninja or a 2005 or new ZZR600. i was wondering if these were good bikes to start on. i have very minimal road time but i have a lot of off road time on atv's and dirt bikes. I'm a pretty big guy at 6'1 and 265lbs. but asphalt is very unforgiving and i want my time riding to be enjoyable.
thanks in advance

super ninja

·
Registered
964 Posts
Either would be good bikes.. you just have to have throttle control:).. Just start slow, take a Motorcycle safety course, and practice practice practice...and pretend everyone on the road is out to hit you..

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Are you concerned about comfort, ride ability or suitability as a first road bike?

Those are both fantastic bikes. The 2005 ZZR600 is the same as the 2002 ZX6R so you're actually getting the same bike, just newer packaging. Ive never ridden one, personally but considering the ZZR is a sports tourer not a sports bike I'd be somewhat inclined to think it's a little more comfy than the newer sports bikes like the 6R.

I personally wouldn't start out on a 600cc bike but that's just me. These bikes can be very unforgiving to newbie mistakes (Although you aren't completely new to riding so you lose the newbie title :)) The bike only goes as fast as you make it. There is an upside to that though as it's better having that power handy when the time comes to get out of a bad situation.

As long as you respect the bike and don't be a wiener on it you'll be fine. Also expect the urge to spend all your paycheck on pretty mods for the bike. Ownership does this to everyone.

Good luck and let us know if you take the plunge. Then post pictures. Lots of them!!

·
Registered
617 Posts
A big guy like you may find a ZX-6R a little bit cramped. The ZZR is more of upright ( sport touring ) ride you may find more comfortable. There's also the new 650R which is still sporty and easier on the wrists. I have both a sport bike and a cruiser so it boils down to what you want. Take the safety course and always wear the right gear and have fun!!.:thumbup

·
Squid Forever , Yes it's a conspiracy
2,271 Posts
I agree what everyone about said.. Just make sure you get it in blue, they are the fastest one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought i would start out on the 6r and get frame sliders then hit the back roads and take it easy. the only 600's i really feel cramped on it the 600rr honda's and gsx-r suzuki's. i've had some seat time on different bikes and kawi feels the most comfortable to me, plus i love the looks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
get the suspension sorted and i reckon you will find any of em ok.
im 200 pounds (90kgs) and i got my 05 zx6 suspension set up properly for my weight etc and it rides like a dream and is a much more comfortable ride than stock
the 05 zx6 has plenty of poke but i believe its still managable as long as you are sensible especially until you are more confident.
doing a superbike school or something will probably speed up your progression as well.

good luck - exciting stuff getting a new bike :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
the biggest problem for new riders is what's in between their ears, not what's in between the frame spars. enjoy :cheers

-:banana
:stupid

that said, I think the previous gen ZX or ZZR is a great one to start with, certainly a bit more forgiving than the current crop of supersports and more comfortable. Still, imho a standard style bike is much easier to control and an even better bike to start on. Something like a standard SV650, Z750S, FZ6 or even a dual sport/super moto might suite you well, esp with your off road experience. The sport bike riding egro's gives up a lot of control for a little bit of aerodynamics imho, a compromise that's not ideal for most street riding.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BikePilot i see you own a Suzuki TL1000s i was considering the "R" model as another option also i had researched it a little and read that it was suited for riders about my size and vtwin sportbikes are my favorite bikes. would you recommend it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts