Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can i get the best suspension set up, for me being a 12 stone man.
I have made lots of mods to bike (2002 636) and now need to set it up to get the best out of it.
ps whats the best tyres to put on
thanks

·
Registered
617 Posts
If you know a good dealership or mechanic,they should be able to help you out. First thing you wan't to do is set the static sag and ride height. After that you'll need to dial in your compression and rebound and them experiment from there. Hope this helps! and welcome!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yep, set the sag for starters - note that you need both race sag (how much it squashes down with you on it as though you were riding) and unladen sag to be correct. If you end up with proper race sag, but no unladen sag your springs are much too soft and suspension performance will suffer greatly.

Racetech has a spring rate calculator on their website - enter your bike, weight etc and will tell you what rate spring you should have. Of course its just a ball park figure as some folks like softer or stiffer springs, but it will at least get you close.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys i'l have a play with all that.
has anyone got any good tyre recommendations ?
thanks again

·
Registered
617 Posts
I personally prefer bridgestone's myself. If you like to rip it up go 014's. If you like to do alot long distance riding and want a tire that will last awhile, try 020's or check the new 021(this tire give's you the best of both worlds).

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
there's a good article in the file vault about setting up suspension. get the sag set right, that's gonna be a big factor. then start with the compression/rebound. do one at a time, make small changes, then once your happy go on to the other. rinse and repeat.

-:banana

·
Registered
59 Posts
There was a ZX6-R suspenion guide done in the March 2001 Performance Bikes, for a J1 model.
This should be good for all J and A1 models as they all had much the same suspension.

Stock Rear:

Preload - spring length 180mm

Rebound - ten clicks out from full in

Compression - ten clicks out from full in

Ride height - zero

Stock Front:

Preload - 14mm showing

Rebound - 7 clicks out from full in

Compression - 9 clicks out from full in

PB Settings:

Rear:

Preload - one full turn back if weighing less than 14 stone (in full gear)

Rebound - 7 clicks out from full in

Compression: 8 clicks out from full in

Ride height - +8mm (+4mm is recommended for road riding and still improves things)

Front:

Preload - 4 lines showing

Rebound - 4 clicks out from full in

Compression - 6 clicks out from full in

A

1 - 12 of 12 Posts