Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey im Byron. i just bought an 08 zx6r yesterday. i haven't ever had a bike before so im pretty nervous. my roommate rides an R1 so hes gonna teach me. im coming from a 01 z28 so im a noob in the bike world.

Background on the bike:
i paid 2500 it has 2k miles on it. it was a coworkers bike, he bought it brand new with 400miles. he traded some kid even trade for a KTM dirtbike kid never put the bike in his name he dumped the bike and ran so my coworker legally got to keep the dirtbike and get the zx6r back. i was playing around and said i would buy it from him. he said ok 2500 and its yours cuz the wife doesnt want him riding. i had the cash in 15minutes.

damage isnt bad. just small parts. a new fairings kit. i want to put it back the way i saw it for the first time. it had the lime green monster kit with lime green rims. it needs a radiator it leaks, and a gas tank mine is fine but its dented and i want it in pristine condition, a silencer, new headlights and mirrors. it runs great fires right up and everything. im having a hard time finding replacement parts. any websites would be great since google hasnt been so helpful.

i will post pictures up in a second. sadly i have no pictures from before the wreck. :no:

day i bought the bike

taking fairings off

radiator off

gas tank dents

and a purty shot with my roommates R1

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Wow sick deal man! Welcome to the forum! :D

Browse those classifieds like a hawk, I'm sure you'll find some parts that you can use :bigthumb:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. my roommate said he has everything i need ready to go on his ebay except a tank. new fairings used radiator and mirrors. im wanting to go new but no websites iv seen have NEW rads. any place to start looking other than the classifieds?

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Welcome out. Nice steal on the bike. Do some google searches for new radiators and the parts your currently lookin for. Also browse the classifieds a lot as there is always good deals on there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
You stole it for sure.

I'd recommend not making it pristine until you get a few months or more under your belt. You may make a few mistakes in that time and don't want to beat yourself up for fixing it up and then screwing it up shortly thereafter. Get it mechanically sound and ride; my 2 shiny pennies.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You stole it for sure.

I'd recommend not making it pristine until you get a few months or more under your belt. You may make a few mistakes in that time and don't want to beat yourself up for fixing it up and then screwing it up shortly thereafter. Get it mechanically sound and ride; my 2 shiny pennies.
yea thats the plan. im thinking of keeping the junk fairings on til i get the hang of it and set aside my new ones for a while.

Fighter!

-Outlaw.
roomy told me why dont i just ride all street fighter about 15 minutes ago. its ugly without the fairings lol.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
like the others said, dont make it pristine, cause us noobs (ima a fellow noob) are gonna drop that bike within the first year. good luck with the rebuild. browse the classifieds, parts are everywhere!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my bike in almost the same way!
Co-worker owned it for 2 months. 17k miles. It gets hit by a truck in a parking lot. insurance company says its totaled. i was joking with him and said i would give him 500$ for it. he came back the next day and said 700 and its yours.

all in all, 05 zx6r for 700 haha. best thing i have ever owned by FAR.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Iv been checking eBay for gas tanks and radiators. I see a few rads for 299 for 07-08s and for 05-06 they are way cheaper. Are the 2 rads interchangeable? And tanks, I read on a eBay description all 05-08 tanks are the exact same minus colors. Is this true? I'm so excited to get my ninja up and running again :D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sweet deal, Welcome!:devious

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Iv been checking eBay for gas tanks and radiators. I see a few rads for 299 for 07-08s and for 05-06 they are way cheaper. Are the 2 rads interchangeable? And tanks, I read on a eBay description all 05-08 tanks are the exact same minus colors. Is this true? I'm so excited to get my ninja up and running again :D
Welcome out man nice find and what tank? If you mean gas tank they are totally different.

·
Administrator
8,182 Posts
Sweet deal! Good luck with the parts. Ebay is good, but you know that already. I would try Craigslist as well... but watch out for dipshit scammers.

Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of information here that will help you on your way to restoring the bike and gaining some riding skills. Peruse the forums, use the search function and ask away.

Also: You can find a copy of the service manual for your bike in the Service Manuals Section of the forum. It will be a huge help to you as well.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow 299 is a lot for a radiator eBay! If I'm Gunna think about paying that much is there a better than stock performing one for around that price?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys I finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new radiator. :) I can't wait to get it up and running! I also picked up the rest of the exhaust I needed. (midpipe back)

Now for headlights. Should I go OEM or aftermarket? I can't decide. I have seen a sick setup in an oracle catalog I have at work. Anyone running the oracle setup?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Good deal! Juding by the first picture, you may want to check to see if the rear rim is bent because it looks like it is from this picture.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Well guys I finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new radiator. :) I can't wait to get it up and running! I also picked up the rest of the exhaust I needed. (midpipe back)

Now for headlights. Should I go OEM or aftermarket? I can't decide. I have seen a sick setup in an oracle catalog I have at work. Anyone running the oracle setup?
OEM. Always.

Welcome to the forums!

1 - 20 of 78 Posts