Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey..hi I have just joined..I bought a 1996 zx6r 3 weeks ago,for $3400aus with 27,000km's, the paints was weathered,I took it home and did the once over it.found surface rust in the tank.so I chemically treated it.Anyway took it for a blast,it goes well and the handling is superb it just steers so easily..nothing like the fzr1000 I used to ride,i am happy with that aspect..The brakes seem to be a little on the soft side..is there any mods to get them to bite harder??..
I took the bike down the south coast to wollongong to visit some friends and to try out my new toy..my step brother asked for a ride I said hey you won't be able to handle this little monster,but he assured me that he had ridden 450 two strokes on the dirt and convinced me to let him have a little ride..he made it around 4 corners before smashing it into the kerb at a round-about..by-crikky I really flipped out and pushed him to the ground..he just said sorry it was an accident,,I will never let anyone ride any of my bike ever again if they want to ride then they have to buy there own machine!!
the forks are bent front wheel dinged,,frame is bent down about 2-3inches side fairings,radiator ,muffler all damaged..i had only had the bike for 4days... so now I have to repair all of this damage,lucky I know some really good straighteners that have the frame and forks and will have it fixed hopfully early next week..I have been plastic welding the fairings but they won't be the same..the bike is the red and purple colours,with black rims..I will look around for some side panels in the same colors so I don't have to respray the plastics,,
I guess we all have stories to tell..
stay cool

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
He did a good job of it and all! Thats a fair amount of damage.

I borrowed my bike to a friend, too. It ended up around a telephone pole.

The soft brakes will improve with a good ol' brake fluid replacement. You can also replace the brake lines with braided ones and replace the brake pads with some decent aftermarket ones. That should give you a lot more feel!

Welcome to the forum by the way! Got any pics of the bike? Before and after?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Holy Crap and Welcome aboard Ray...

What part of Sydney you from? My cousin has a bike smash repair place in Hornsby if you need anywork done...

There's now 5 Sydney members too BTW :rotfl

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live in the Carlingford /nth parramatta area..do you know who sells the braided brake lines in Sydney?? thanks
stay cool

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Quarkz, I will give them a call when I get the bike back
---- I have told the engineer to tig weld some aluminium plates to the side of the frame to strengthen it..the damage would have put some tiny fractures in the metal..If I am goin to ride it after the repairs i am goin to make sure it isn't going to collapse on me..The frames on 1996 models are light weight without any front support..I will paint the frame and swing arm black..just to hide the aluminium plates ..

stay cool

1 - 9 of 9 Posts