Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been surfing around this form for a couple months now as I have been trying to work on things with my bike. This seems like an awesome community and I'm happy to finally be a part of it!!

Here's what I've got going on. (newly replaced fuel pump)

1997 ZX6R 32k Miles

It will start up and run like a champ (for the first ~15 minutes). Whether that 15 minutes is spent on the highway or stop-and-go main roads, it will die once I start to slow down (usually in 1st gear or once I stop completely). After the first time it dies I can get it started again after 30 seconds or so. However, after that it will die after just a few minutes, this time it will happen in 2nd or 1st. As soon as I let off the throttle it will drop out and die. Sometimes I can get it started for a 3rd time if I can power start it but it will die almost immediately (even in 3rd gear) and I'm left coasting. After this I can't get it started for a while, usually around an hour or so).

To clear a few things up; the battery is holding a solid charge (have tested after 2nd and 3rd times it dies). The fuel pump was just replaced a few days ago and the issue continues to happen. Yes I have tested the fuel pump to make sure it's receiving the electricity it wants.

I'm very new to the world of street bikes and after what reading I have done around forums and online I unable to come up with any solid ideas.

If anybody has any suggestions or has encountered this before any help would be greats appreciated!

Thanks for having me guys! Cant' wait to full indulge in the community!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Gas tank venting issue?. Pull the tank and make sure the lines are routed correctly and not pinched anywhere. Try running the bike with the tank cap open and see if it dies.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gas tank venting issue?. Pull the tank and make sure the lines are routed correctly and not pinched anywhere. Try running the bike with the tank cap open and see if it dies.
I started by checking for kinks in the lines then replaced them all together as well. I have also tried running with the cap open and the same thing happens sadly.

Have you look at your carbs at all? My guess is that you need to clean them.
I have not messed with the carbs at all.
Is cleaning them something that someone with little mechanical experience could do or will I need to find someone who knows what they're doing?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I started by checking for kinks in the lines then replaced them all together as well. I have also tried running with the cap open and the same thing happens sadly.

I have not messed with the carbs at all.
Is cleaning them something that someone with little mechanical experience could do or will I need to find someone who knows what they're doing?
Yes! Download the service manual and start there. Definitely the first thing you should eliminate before moving on

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had a starting issue with a Drz400 and pulled the carb blasted it with carb cleaner and cleaned it well. Started right up. You can clean the carb with a little effort and research.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts