Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! My name is Conlan and I'm from the boise area (its in idaho in case you didnt know) and I have scrimped and saved (college student) and picked up a brand new 2015 zx6r. No this isn't my first bike it is my second! My first bike was a 05 z750s, anyways I just wanted to say hello and ask if there is certain aftermarket parts I should go for first like exhaust, power commander, air filter or just buy them as I feel like it? Also this will be a ways from now as I and should I follow the 1000 mile break in or keep it under 5k for 600 and then just ride how i ride from there? This kinda seems like a lot of break in time...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Welcome! Break-in period isn't critical but it never hurts to be on the gentle side. Try not to redline it for a while but generally just ride it like you normally would.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Skip aftermarket, pay for a trackday. You'll an joy that more than any shinny new part you put on.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Hello everyone! My name is Conlan and I'm from the boise area (its in idaho in case you didnt know) and I have scrimped and saved (college student) and picked up a brand new 2015 zx6r. No this isn't my first bike it is my second! My first bike was a 05 z750s, anyways I just wanted to say hello and ask if there is certain aftermarket parts I should go for first like exhaust, power commander, air filter or just buy them as I feel like it? Also this will be a ways from now as I and should I follow the 1000 mile break in or keep it under 5k for 600 and then just ride how i ride from there? This kinda seems like a lot of break in time...
Stuff like Exhaust and PC is really only useful, in my opinion, if you're already using most of what the stock bike can offer. Why increase HP by 5-8 for hundreds of dollars if you're rarely asking the bike to give you more than 80 or 90hp? (It's already got some room to spare).

Sure, for sound, exhaust can be nice, but certainly no requirement.

I love my bike, and aesthetics is part of that. If you wanted to grab a fender eliminator kit, I think those make the bikes look better.

Get safety gear, those make the rider look better.

And the most effective upgrade is a rider upgrade. Take a class and it'll make you faster than simply putting you on a 200hp liter-bike.

·
Registered
702 Posts
As far as break in I have always went balls to the wall immediately and never had an issue. People here will call me stupid but my bikes have always performed jut as well as any other bike and I didn't have to baby it for a 1000 miles.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
The merits of being able to stop are never overrated..... as has been said, the bike is already faster than you are ever likely to need it to be. Trying to hop it up further is tremendously expensive with diminishing returns and a relatively high probability of introducing a fault.

If you need it to go faster, losing mass off the bike is the best bang for the buck you can do. A lighter battery, and a lighter exhaust system are probably the best return on that you can do.... titanium parts, carbon fiber parts are much more costly than the benefit. Losing grams is not as good as losing pounds/kilos.

In all honesty, the largest area that is likely to benefit from weight reduction is the operator. There's a reason almost all of the top racers look like greyhounds. The old rule of thumb that 7lbs =1HP is a reasonable metric.

Buy the best riding gear you can afford.
Get it to stop well.
Then improve the suspension.

If you still need it to go faster, get formal training and improve the operator.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay yeah I figured as much with the aftermarket, the only problem with track day is I would have to haul my bike to salt lake as that is the closest track :/ I already ordered a fender eliminator that stock one is god awful! And that is the thing with the exhaust I swear every year they get bigger and quieter, I've heard that you want your bike to be loud so other drivers are aware that you are there the only problem is full exhaust systems are horrendously expensive. Anyways just broke 200 miles and am loving the bike :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts