Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently was in a head-on (low speed) collision with an idiot who decided to cut a left turn instead of yielding. Bought the salvaged and totalled bike back and its now running great and I want to turn it into a race bike and get into some CCS stuff.

I have a couple questions for all you experienced racers/riders out there who are willing to help a new guy.

1. The rules state I need a catch pan. I can salvage whats left of the bottoms of my old fairings and fiberglass the bottoms together or I can try and buy ones meant for that already. Which would be easier/cheaper and does anyone know a company that sells them for relatively cheap (im a recent college grad waiting for orders/start work)

2. All the bolts have to be safety wired. Can I just wire them to some solid part of the frame or does it have to be to another bolt in the opposite direction? (their pictures are confusing)

3. I have full race leathers but it says I need a back protector. My old riding jacket has a back-protector inserted into it that I can remove. Will that work?

I'm sure I will have more questions pop into my head but any other suggestions or things I probably wont know to ask would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hot bodies makes a fairly cheap underpan that is rated and qualified for track use. I believe it has to hold atleast 4-5 quarts incase your leaking massive fluids. As far as the safety wiring? Idk I think it would work to wire around the frame so long as it can't move. As far as a back protector they arnt talking the little foam that comes in a jacket. They mean like on from Knox for example. There is a guy selling one on here for $120 I think? Doesn't sound like a bad deal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess it would save me a lot of trouble just to buy the $200 fairing from hotbodies. Maybe I can find a back protector off craigslist or ebay or something. I personally would like something stronger to protect me than that foam padding but I wasnt sure what they really meant lol.

How about routing all the vents and overflows? it said I needed a separate catch can atleast 350cc (11 oz). Im assuming just a little plastic bottle ziptied under the seat?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I think if you have race fairings on you shouldn't need a catch can on our bikes. The lower fairing (or catch pan) needs to be capable of holding 3 quarts of fluid as the previous poster said. Here's the rulebook:

http://www.ccsracing.us/forms/2013/rules/2013 asra-ccs rulebook.pdf

The rulebook does mention catch cans for certain vents but like I said, I *think* you shouldn't need one on our bikes. I would suggest asking on their forums to get better clarification:

CCS Forum - Index

You can either safety wire the bolts to each other or to any hard part. As long as the bolt can't back out. You might check the WERA forums for a set of used race fairings:

http://weraclassifieds.com/#axzz2SEX3PzIh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts