Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Ya'll!
So I just moved to Dallas (Uptown area) from Los Angeles, anyone got any tips for riding in the area or suggestions on places to hit up and or ride?
I've already noticed there is a definite difference in driving style of people in cars out here vs. L.A. Within 5 minutes of my first ride out here, I was already supremely missing lane splitting/filtering. It is a weird feeling having to sit behind cars in traffic, not having the option of a safe exit strategy of cutting between cars, unless of course there is no other option in a extreme case.
Also have to invest in an armored mesh jacket, it's way to hot for my leather jacket. Also, what tire pressures are you running out here, I have an '07 ZX6R, I put in my California pressures and if felt weird, maybe it's the road or just me. I was thinking with the high temps of the air and street, it bumped up my tire pressures too much and made it ride like they were overfilled.
Anyway, thanks in advance for any responses and hope to ride with ya'll soon.

*practicing using "ya'll," hear it a lot around here. :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Welcome to Texas! I love Dallas and get up there often. I have a good friend that lives in uptown as well and I think you're going to like the area. It isn't LA, but people in Dallas like to think it is.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
Welcome to the greatest country known to man! :laugh

The hill country (the middle of nowhere, Texas) supposedly has some good roads. I personally haven't ridden street here (I prefer to live). Good news is you have Eagles Canyon Raceway, MSR Cresson, and if you want to drive a couple hours Circuit of the Americas. Check out ridesmart and lonestar track days.

·
Registered
879 Posts
hey! welcome to texas! I'm also in Dallas, and just fyi it's y'all, not ya'll. lol

check out: ridesmart.info they are a good trackday org. also join up on motodfw.com, it's a bunch of trackday junkies/cmra racers.

also check out the CMRA if you have any desire to start racing.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Howdy from a longtime relocated Cali boy (grew up in the Glendale, Burbank area) and rode Mulholland and Angeles Crest numerous time. Been here 18 years now and likely will not go back. I love TX. The drivers (not riders, though there are always exceptions) of cages are maniacal. Don't trust them for a microsecond. They may be the nicest people in the US, but behind the wheel they transform. Be extremely cautious. I know. I rode in California, both SoCal and NorCal for 20 years before I got here.

Anyhow, if you don't mind going north I'd recommend highway FM 455 headed west out of Sanger (north of Denton where I live). It's better going west than east as it gets bumpy in the eastern direction. There are also some damn fine roads southwest of Fort Worth. Sorry I can't remember which as it has been some time. But as somebody else mentioned Hill country near Austin has some fantastic roads. It's best to go with somebody that knows the rides as they can be hard to find.

Also somebody else mentioned RideSmart.info. They arrange trackdays all over, including Circuit of the Americas though that is an expensive venue. The other smaller tracks they ride are very reasonable; their instructors are pretty good; and everyone is very friendly. I've only been to Eagles Canyon (closest to Denton/Sanger) and Motorsport Ranch Houston. Both tracks are fun but Eagles Canyon is my favorite due to the elevation changes. MSR Houston is really flat (I think they have a variation of about ~3 feet as opposed to ~70+ at ECR) but it is a fun track nonetheless. Once you ride there you can meet people that know the good rides in the area.

EDIT:
For the uninitiated, the FM in FM 455 stands for Farm-to-market.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you can reach around just right you can cover your license plate with your hand when riding thru the booths on the gwb tollway. Or wheelie thru lol saves you from getting a bill in the mail.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
If you can reach around just right you can cover your license plate with your hand when riding thru the booths on the gwb tollway. Or wheelie thru lol saves you from getting a bill in the mail.
All you have to do is ride the line through them so you don't trip the sensor or camera. You can actually see the section of concrete where the sensor is. Just avoid that and you're golden. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thank you for all the tips! I definitely want to get into some track days once it starts to get a bit cooler.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Looking at moving to the Fort Worth area this next year. Nebraska sucks and I want outta here. Hoping to find a house with some land and a decent job down there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I thought about building a 12 volt solenoid with a pin that pushes the license plate up out of sight by the push of a button. Think that would sell well down there?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like riding FM 407 across from Lewisville to north of Rhome, then south around Eagle Mountain Lake... There are a few spots with curves.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like riding FM 407 across from Lewisville to north of Rhome, then south around Eagle Mountain Lake... There are a few spots with curves.
You should try, Chisholm Trail Pkwy..Start in Crowley, Then straight to Cleburne..It's about 15-20 mile's of newly open HWY..This road is perfect,You can see for mile's ahead of you for any cop's or object's in the road..

·
Registered
82 Posts
You should try, Chisholm Trail Pkwy..Start in Crowley, Then straight to Cleburne..It's about 15-20 mile's of newly open HWY..This road is perfect,You can see for mile's ahead of you for any cop's or object's in the road..
I actually know that road from my last few visits down there. Im hoping to be moving to the Joshua area this late summer/fall. Have yet to find a house down there and get this one sold up in Nebraska. Is there any small groups that ride down there?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just moved between ft worth and Crowley a few weeks ago looking to find some guys to ride with as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just moved between ft worth and Crowley a few weeks ago looking to find some guys to ride with as well.

I live in Aledo. Just go West on I-20, about 15 minutes outside of FtWorth. It takes me about 20-25 min to get to Crowley. FM 5 is good, but short. FM4 (Palo Pinto) is 30-40 miles of slab to get to, but about the best we have around here. Im heading to Northern Arkansas sometime in October, for the real fun stuff...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in Aledo. Just go West on I-20, about 15 minutes outside of FtWorth. It takes me about 20-25 min to get to Crowley. FM 5 is good, but short. FM4 (Palo Pinto) is 30-40 miles of slab to get to, but about the best we have around here. Im heading to Northern Arkansas sometime in October, for the real fun stuff...

Talemina drive is awesome I use to live up around there awesome for bikes great road too

1 - 20 of 28 Posts