Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
96 Kawasaki ZX600F with a knock - YouTube

That's the video of us finally getting it fired up. This is my first bike, and it's my 2nd time messing with carbs like this, but I am pretty experienced with mechanic work. I do not plan to ride this thing as a bike, I plan on building a Rzr type side by side UTV for taking out wheeling and going up hills. I picked this whole bike up for $200, and figured it was somewhere to start.
It's a 96 Kawasaki ZX600F that was neglected and left outside with no gas cap, or cover what so ever. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them the best I know how, and put them back ok. All but one needle was seized, and one of those three was covered in green.... Almost algae looking stuff. All had a slight greenish tiny to them. Oh, and a dead spider in the fuel rail.

So obviously I got it running, but it's knocking real bad. You can hear it in the video. The oil light goes out and stays out while it runs, so I must have pressure, but I just put some 5w-30 in it because I didn't want to buy anything else until I knew it ran. Do you fellas think an oil change will fix the knock? If not, any suggestions as to what it would be? It sounds loudest on the left side of the bike.

Also, should the fuel pump run the whole time the bike is running? Or does it have a pressure shut off? I think mine is toast. It will pump it out without any house on it, but as soon as I hook it up to the fuel rail it shuts off, even with power probing it. Suggestions on where to get a new one, or an alternative?

Thanks,
Branden

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
Can't tell you what it is but I can tell you not to run it much more until you find out.

Could be a bad rod bearing, a stuck cam chain tensioner, any number of things in the valve train. All of them are going to require at least partial disassemble of the engine to figure out.

Sometimes cheap isn't really all that cheap in the long run. You might have been better served to spend a few hundred more on an engine you knew ran well. If that is anything that requires the engine to be rebuilt or the head to be rebuilt, your going to be into it for way more than a good running engine once you buy the parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input.

Unless this will cost me a ridiculous amount of money, I'm determined to fix and use it. And beings I have to fix it, I might as well upgrade it, yea?

Any suggestions on the fuel pump?

Thanks,
Branden

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I put 20w-50 in it, and that didn't fix it. So I'll be tearing I to it tomorrow. It sounds like left upper end.

Are the cylinders numbered from left to right, 1-4?

Thanks,
Branden

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I put 20w-50 in it, and that didn't fix it. So I'll be tearing I to it tomorrow. It sounds like left upper end.

Are the cylinders numbered from left to right, 1-4?

Thanks,
Branden
Like has been said -- don't start it until you get to the bottom of this.

That doesn't sound like a bearing to me.... too 'tappy'. I'd try setting the valves and see what happens before I did anything else. Download the shop manual from this site for your bike and sort out what you need to set the valves.

I suspect the valve train on this one may still be screw and lock nut. That's a good thing for a home mechanic.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Like has been said -- don't start it until you get to the bottom of this.

That doesn't sound like a bearing to me.... too 'tappy'. I'd try setting the valves and see what happens before I did anything else. Download the shop manual from this site for your bike and sort out what you need to set the valves.

I suspect the valve train on this one may still be screw and lock nut. That's a good thing for a home mechanic.
Thanks for your input!

I have it ready to drop out, I believe. And I'll start there! And signs I should look for while having it on the operating table?

Thanks,
Branden

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where do you guys suggest for places to buy engine parts? eBay and google searches arnt giving me anything.

Thanks,
Branden

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do you guys suggest for places to buy engine parts? eBay and google searches arnt giving me anything.

Thanks,
Branden

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
And here's where it gets expensive.

You need to find a shop who is familiar with working on motorcycle crankshafts. Let them inspect what you have and see if it can be used again or if there is no way to salvage it. Hopefully it can be used again with only minor work.

The rod is around $110. Your going to need all new bearings I would guess, rod and mains.
Those are call it $145 for the set. You need gaskets, probably around $60 or $80. You need to pull the head apart or at least lift the cams and see if there is any damage to the bearings there also.

So your into it for say $315 plus what ever the crank costs to get it fixed even if you find nothing else that needs to be replaced. Plus your initial $200 so it's going to cost you $515 at least to get a running engine. You could have bought a good running engine from a newer model for $400-$600. Hope for your sake you don't find anything else wrong with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
And here's where it gets expensive.

You need to find a shop who is familiar with working on motorcycle crankshafts. Let them inspect what you have and see if it can be used again or if there is no way to salvage it. Hopefully it can be used again with only minor work.

The rod is around $110. Your going to need all new bearings I would guess, rod and mains.
Those are call it $145 for the set. You need gaskets, probably around $60 or $80. You need to pull the head apart or at least lift the cams and see if there is any damage to the bearings there also.

So your into it for say $315 plus what ever the crank costs to get it fixed even if you find nothing else that needs to be replaced. Plus your initial $200 so it's going to cost you $515 at least to get a running engine. You could have bought a good running engine from a newer model for $400-$600. Hope for your sake you don't find anything else wrong with it.
I appreciate your help! But where can I look to find a newer model engine, for that much? I've just looked locally, and this happened to be my buddy's roommate. If nothing else, I got to tear into one to see what is in them. That's a big part of building something for me, is knowing how it works. I'm not saying I have $200 to just throw away just to learn stuff, but now that I have done it, I will not do it again. I do better just jumping in, rather than testing the waters.

The cams are fine, valves are fine, everything is fine except that rod and that crankshaft portion. and its hardly even scratched. So I'll polish it up and put a new rod and bearing on it, and throw it together. I know this may be frowned upon, But I'm ok with that. any criticism is welcome, as well as suggestions.

Thanks fellas,
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess the rod is discontinued, along with the crank. So I'm getting a bearing and putting it all back together and seeing what happens. Crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. lol.

I appreciate the help everybody,
Branden

·
Registered
125 Posts
Throwing good money after bad.
What a Debbie Downer.... Some people enjoy the learning curve and experience gained working on new things, and that is priceless. He had asked for advice on issues that are new to him, not the right and wrong of spending the money HE worked for, jackass....-Steven

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Throwing good money after bad.
I do appreciate the help, man. But the guy below you is correct in my case. Just about the learning part for me. The hostility is non existant on my end.

But he did say it perfectly. Lol. So thanks for that man.

He didn't get any farther than getting it to idle. It was the guy before him that did all this. He just let it sit and the carbs get all gummed up.

I only spent $250 total on this thing after I bought oil and that bearing. I have a decent rear tire to sell, and pure aluminum to scrap. I think it was a good learning investment overall. Glad it happened the way it did, and even more so that I found help from you fellas, so again, thanks for that.

Parts should be here next week, and I'll keep ya updated.
Branden

1 - 20 of 21 Posts