Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm going to be purchasing the Michelin Pilot Power 2CT rear tire soon and I'm wondering how much of a difference I'm going to be feeling. Its the first time I'll be getting new tires since I started riding back in September. Any thoughts on the 2CT and how much more stick I'll have to the road?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
it's not so much stick unless you've been riding on hockey pucks/old tires.

My tires stuck just as good when worn to or a bit past the wear bars. It's not like a race tire that heat cycles and changes in character.

BUT you most definetly will feel it turns a lot nicer with a round shape compared to a flat center.

Just take it easy when turning, you gotta gradually wear in the tire on the sidewalls. I do it on hwy on/off ramps. go half my usual lean and just swerve in and out within the turn.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
No better feeling than a brand new set of rubbers after riding on a wore out set, don't really matter what the brand as far as that goes. I like my 2CTs, mostly because the price has always been right and I go through a lot of them. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Love Michelin tires and ran 2ct for first season and part of 2nd. But spend the money and get pilot power 3's the 2ct doesn't really get to the soft sticky till about a thumbs width from the edge. Gives a false seance of security to me. Give them a tank of gas to scrub in if just normal riding. That's what the Michelin rep recommended to me.

·
Registered
11,663 Posts
The Michelin's have a more 'cone' shaped arch/profile to them so they are very easy to flick into a corner. Other tires, for instance, more rounded so they feel different. The 2CT's are pretty fun and had pretty decent wear when I used them. If you can, try getting a front tire too. I'm just thinking about the different profiles of two brands feeling weird.

For street riding they are a really good tire. If you're trying track days they're fine until you are bumping up into intermediate groups. They get a bit greasy on a really hot day at the track from my experience.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The Michelin's have a more 'cone' shaped arch/profile to them so they are very easy to flick into a corner. Other tires, for instance, more rounded so they feel different. The 2CT's are pretty fun and had pretty decent wear when I used them. If you can, try getting a front tire too. I'm just thinking about the different profiles of two brands feeling weird.

For street riding they are a really good tire. If you're trying track days they're fine until you are bumping up into intermediate groups. They get a bit greasy on a really hot day at the track from my experience.
That's for sure. The second I made the first turn with my new tires I almost had to put a foot down. That bitch turned on a dime!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Scrub the new tire in properly? Please don't tell me you use sand paper to "take the oil's off the tire"???!?!
Almost everybody out there will tell you that you should take it easy for about 100 miles. Personally, I think that's all bullshit. :) But you can search and probably find a boatload of posts one way or the other so no need to go through all that again here. :)

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Almost everybody out there will tell you that you should take it easy for about 100 miles. Personally, I think that's all bullshit. :) But you can search and probably find a boatload of posts one way or the other so no need to go through all that again here. :)
I'll agree. I put on a new front. (Q2) and immediately went hard on it. Never felt any slipping. But the new q2's didn't seem slippery to begin with.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well since you failed to mention what tire you are running now, we have no point of comparison.
I currently have Pirelli Diablo Rossi II's. Not a huge fan of em :/

·
Registered
224 Posts
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I'll agree. I put on a new front. (Q2) and immediately went hard on it. Never felt any slipping. But the new q2's didn't seem slippery to begin with.
Now, I'm not saying you shouldn't be cautious on a new tire because you should, but in my mind once you've leaned the tire over and scrubbed off whatever might be on it your done. It makes no difference whether you do that after 100 miles or after 100 feet. I don't wait. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts