Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 ZX6R..track bike. After trying to set rear sag with the Slacker tool it appears that the stock rear spring is too soft for my weight. I'm 208. New spring or just get a better shock?
125 bucks for the spring..10X for new shock..oy

·
Registered
998 Posts
2020 ZX6R..track bike. After trying to set rear sag with the Slacker tool it appears that the stock rear spring is too soft for my weight. I'm 208. New spring or just get a better shock?
125 bucks for the spring..10X for new shock..oy
Might be worth looking into whether or not previous gen aftermarket shocks will work...there’s a couple on here on the cheap. If they fit just refresh and install...you’re ahead of the game. I just put a shock from an 05 in my 2012 slid right in. Needed a shim but slid right in non the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well..not racing it..just track days..and im not exactly very fast yet

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you're not maxing out the clickers, you don't need a shock. Just respring it. I run stock 2005 suspension with springs for my weight and I'm not the slowest guy in advanced group. All the speed that is lacking, is from the rider...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a set of like-new forks from a 2016 with race tech gold valving and k-tech 10.5 springs. I had these set up last year (220 lbs rider). 1 season of track days/races since assembly, less than 2k miles on forks total.

I'm looking for 500 shipped, in case you wanted to eat a pizza or two and upgrade your forks to match your shock.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
If you're not maxing out the clickers, you don't need a shock. Just respring it. I run stock 2005 suspension with springs for my weight and I'm not the slowest guy in advanced group. All the speed that is lacking, is from the rider...

The "clickers" have about nothing to do with it

aftermarket products are so far superior it is not even funny.......

take any brand new oem installed fork assembly and ride the bike for 2000 miles then dump the fork oil
take the exact same bike ride it the exact same way and miles (or hell quadruple the miles and abuse) but with something like Ak20's installed and dump the fork oil and I guarantee you the oil coming out of the Ak20's will look damn near brand new and the oil coming out of oe will be dark and milky with contaminants

Now you wonder where did the contaminants come from.......... the sloppy fitting parts wearings on each other!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes for aftermarket shocks except nobody is ever changing the oil on them on oe shocks since most you have to drill to tap to install a bung to fill with nitrogen again

also.............. the "clickers" on all oe style forks and shocks are not single rate, they have huge jumps at some levels and very tiny jumps at the next.......... ie.... if you go from 3rd from soft to 4th from soft the percentage change in oil flow will be significantly different from if you move from say 15th from soft to 16th from soft!!!!!!!!!! FACTS !!!!!!!!

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
218 Posts
Everyone knows what I was saying in regards to the OP’s question. Stock components are perfectly fine for 90% of the riders out there. Aftermarket is mobedda...but not necessary when we focus on the what matters: rider improvement.

So, back on point OP: don’t waste your money on $1200 shock while you’re still working on the human element. Respring the stock suspension and go ride. Learn how tires feel, learn how to run good lines, learn how to trail brake, learn throttle control. $1200 is 5-7 trackdays. Think of how much faster you’ll be after that amount of riding.

Will spending that money on a shock yield the same results?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
going to get a season pass for 3000.00....that gives me up to 35 days..so yeah..that will be well spent. I'm definately not pushing it yet..not even close. This bike is light years ahead of anything I have ever ridden. My last bike 26 years ago was an RZ 350.

·
Registered
218 Posts
When you start getting the shock pumping on exit and you can’t tighten the rebound enough to control the movement THEN start looking at a shock. Also this can happen in long corner exits when you bang through the gears leaning over, the shift cut can get the rear pumping a little. Just hold the throttle open and let the suspension (attempt) to control it. That’s another sign you need to tighten the rebound clicker.

Anyway, last thing: have a suspension guru at your local track give you a setup to start with and keep getting adjustments until you don’t feel anything from the changes. Then just ride...

·
Registered
184 Posts
going to get a season pass for 3000.00....that gives me up to 35 days..so yeah..that will be well spent.
Damn... $85 per track day?? Where the hell is that, I'm moving lol...

I agree with Neonmarine's thoughts here, and it was the same case with me. As a new track day rider there's so much to learn including the things he listed out. Developing feel and instinct, and gaining an understanding of track riding dynamics with basic equipment was so much more of my focus early on, and it still continues for me. But yea a baseline suspension tune of stock components is in order right away, that's like $40-$60 and your local guy can do that. Then he'll tell you if you need a new spring or not. He might be able to find a setting within the available range of the stock shock that could work for now. You mainly just want the rear tire to respond adequately to the track surface and move in unison (up and down) with the front's fork travel.

So it's best to spend money on race fairings and frame sliders and engine case protectors. Those will help persevere the integrity of the bike when/if it goes down, and those are cheap replaceable things. OEM Plastics are way too expensive and a few big scratches and it's ruined.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I contacted Dave Moss after i subscribed to his channel and he gave me starting set points.
Next season ill deal with the track mechanic
The track is 3 hours away near oneonta but its an easy trip with no traffic..
And its not an easy track..very technical..always turning

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So far i put on armour body fairings, graves slip on
Lithium battery and only run with about 1 .5 gal of gas
That knocks a ton of weight off which really made the diff for me from stock which i felt was way too heavy
All that gas up.there weighs a ton ...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts