Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm Bill from Long Island, NY. Just picked up my first bike friday, put about 100 miles on it so far just cruising around and getting more comfortable (almost time for my first gas fill up lol). Honestly feels like trying to learn how to drive all over again but I'm taking things slow and being careful. I've had my car up to 200+mph on track but the wind on the bike at just 65 is crazy. I've been a car enthusiast my whole life. Raced go karts when I was a teen and got into autocross when I got my license. Been to a lot of track days since then and have been looking for something a little different that's a bit cheaper. When I get more comfortable with riding and turning on the bike I'll take it to a beginner track day and see how that goes.

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
Nice pics. Welcome.

I'd suggest the track day asap, rather than waiting.

I'd also suggest some form of formal instruction, before you get set in bad habits,..... Bikes are counterintuitive in how they operate compared to any two track vehicle. Learning the physics, and training yourself to recognize what's happening so you can take appropriate action will result in much more efficient operation.

Invest in protective gear for you, and the bike. Gravity sucks, all the time. We all come afoul of that at some point.

If that beautiful plastic hits the ground at more than ~10 MPH, there will be a substantial cost to repair. If there is track use in your future, it would be wise to buy track fairings now, and shelve the OEM plastics , before they are damaged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I did do a MSF course but I feel like the only thing I learned was parking lot speed maneuvering. I do plan on getting some frame sliders and rear spools. I have a snell/dot helmet with armor jacket with and gloves. I feel like my riding jeans that I got don't protect much, there's only knee protection. Maybe your suggestion of an early track day will teach me more higher speed control and foot positioning. I'll have to look up some track fairings, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hspoy New Bike....
Loving that colour scheme...never seen that before.

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,580 Posts
OP,

The track is actually a much safer place to learn how the bike handles that the street. Much less conflicting stuff going on, everyone is going the same general direction, pavement is clear of debris, traction is reasonably predictable, medical staff is on hand, adult supervision is as intrusive as needed to keep you safe….. no sudden stops as there are controlled run off areas….

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, yea I'm loving the new colors as well. After I get the engine broken in a bit I'm definitely taking it to a track day. The only problem is where I live. On long island the nearest track is pocono and njmp, both are 3 hours away. I don't mind the trip but I don't like waking up so early lol, but it'll be worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey everyone, I'm Bill from Long Island, NY. Just picked up my first bike friday, put about 100 miles on it so far just cruising around and getting more comfortable (almost time for my first gas fill up lol). Honestly feels like trying to learn how to drive all over again but I'm taking things slow and being careful. I've had my car up to 200+mph on track but the wind on the bike at just 65 is crazy. I've been a car enthusiast my whole life. Raced go karts when I was a teen and got into autocross when I got my license. Been to a lot of track days since then and have been looking for something a little different that's a bit cheaper. When I get more comfortable with riding and turning on the bike I'll take it to a beginner track day and see how that goes.
View attachment 109247 View attachment 109248 View attachment 109249 View attachment 109250
Welcome, I’m also a new rider to the street anyways, also a car enthusiast and in the automotive industry, I just bought the exact same bike but in night shade teal, I have a few things I need to do before riding it legally, we have a few track days coming out here in Vegas soon that I’ll probably be doing closer to the end of the year but I am registered in a course already and I’m looking for another to sign up for one more, awesome bike man! Congratulations and welcome to forum, there are some good people on here with some great advise.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts