Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To the point: have you bought from that dealer and had a decent experience?
For the life of me, I cannot bring myself ever buying anything from them. They will NOT EVEN START the bike, not even turning the key, despite being told in advance I’ll go when the “battery is charged” to their BS excuse. SERIOUSLY. They are glad to take a deposit and order you a bike that’s not there and you have not even sat on it...

I would have gotten at least 1 bike from them, when being quoted an OTD price by salesman, I was told 1000 dollars more next minute when we talked about starting the transaction.

They do not seem to want to sell bikes. There is never-ever anyone there besides me looking at bikes...

I wonder where the NOLA co-riders buy their Japanese bikes. I, personally, as per my info on the left, have not bought Japanese bikes, not because I do not want to, but due to above... the “exotic” brand dealer throws the red carpet and lets me ride ANYTHING. Rides sell bikes...

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Can't help you with the dealership -- never tried to buy a bike in NOLA.

I understand the desire to ride a bike first; very few Japanese dealers are going to allow that. the exotic brands have to entertain their customers far more as there are so many less sales.

If you want a Japanese bike, and aren't getting the service you expect..... you could call the regional sales manager, or corporate. You could also buy online, from another state if necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I understand the “no rides,” but man... not even turning the key on...I cannot imagine any other dealer doing this crap...

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Ask to talk to the sales manager, or the owner.

Explain that you are there to buy a bike, cash in hand..... That you already own multiple bikes, and in fact are a serious customer.

Most dealerships deal with a tremendous number of 'looky loos' that suck up time and don't buy anything. They habituate to that model, and treat everyone like they are unworthy...... Works to an advantage in the psychology of the sale. Desperate people spend more money. This is also why the purchase takes so long....... The longer you're tied up in the process, the more concessions you are likely to make.

Cut through the first layers of BS.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ask to talk to the sales manager, or the owner.

Explain that you are there to buy a bike, cash in hand..... That you already own multiple bikes, and in fact are a serious customer.

Most dealerships deal with a tremendous number of 'looky loos' that suck up time and don't buy anything. They habituate to that model, and treat everyone like they are unworthy...... Works to an advantage in the psychology of the sale. Desperate people spend more money. This is also why the purchase takes so long....... The longer you're tied up in the process, the more concessions you are likely to make.

Cut through the first layers of BS.
Let me tell you about the general manager...

I had my Street Triple as a potential trade. A guy comes out of an office, that the salesman after told me he is the GM, impatiently throws his hand at me saying “where are the keys” and bolts out. Not a hello, not an introduction, not an effort to pitch a sale, I do not even know this guys name!

And apparently this guy, who “builds racing bikes” does not know what a Triumph Triple engine sounds like. He told me, his very 1st words coming back, “how long is your top end about to blow up?” They are full of shit, and not interested in trades, despite they say they are, as it is obvious from the 0 used bikes for sale in the shop.

·
Registered
415 Posts
No experience with NOLA store, there is a Halls locally I go in from time to time. They have some folks who will talk to me but generally are high on the price. I bought a new CBR600RR in 2012 from a dealer in McDonough GA, made the deal over the phone, drove over with a check and bought the bike. They started it up and I listened to it before I signed the paperwork then got on it and rode 5 hours home. December 20th of 2012. Some great memories of that trip. Left dealership at 7PM in the dark after a rainstorm. 5 hour ride home, dinner at a waffle house, stop at ORileys for a 10mm wrench to adjust clutch lever. 5 days after failing an EKG and 2 months before heart surgery! I had a free "get new bike" pass from the Mrs. so took advantage. Bought a used '13 ZX6R from a KTM dealer in Huntsville, we both thought it had ABS, he let me ride the bike before I bought it. Two weeks later realized it didn't have ABS (we both felt very stupid but easy mistake to make). He offered to buy it back but taxes were an issue we didn't know how to address so he gave me $1,000. He knew how to treat people right. I took it and traded it in on a new '14 in Albany, GA. Didn't ride the bike before hand, had an agreed upon price on the new bike but had to haggle over the trade on the '13 ZX6R. I actually came out OK on that deal. At the time Hall's here in town wasn't particularly interested in selling me a bike.

Before Hall's bought the local shop my wife bought me a 2007 Ninja 250 as a Christmas present from them. She called and they gave her a price. She drove to get it and was writing out the check when the fella added $100 to the price, she started to put her check book up and walk out but he quickly relented. She was surprised that they seemed surprised that someone would pay cash for a motorcycle.

When I bought my current BMW F800GT used from the BMW dealer they didn't let me test ride it. I probably could have pushed and gotten a ride but didn't. They probably knew what a pig of an engine it has - no character at all and didn't want to scare me off. Bike not too bad, good for long trips.

Bought a Honda scooter from a Yamaha dealer in Memphis it was a nice experience. Bought a Kymco scooter from Pinacle here locally - tatally an impulse buy, went by to see what they had and bought a scooter - was on the lookout and they had a good price on a used on.

Ive had some good experiences at dealerships, several years ago I read the book "Getting to Yes" which is about how to negotiate. Not one of my strengths but showed me how to focus on the objective and not get derailed by people or personalities. At the time we were negotiating very large contracts and my manager was incredible at negotiating.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts