Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
2012 Zx6r. Installed a new organic brake pads from unknown brand and after a few ride, it squeak, squeal when braking on low speed, also did it when I move the bike. Can I know how to fix this beside from getting another good brand of brake pads ?
And I did overfill the bike engine oil, total oil I use is about 3.65 litre / 3.8 quart of oil. Would it cause any damage ?
Thanks for reading.

-Danny

·
Registered
177 Posts
There's a very apt saying "Buy cheap, Buy twice".
You have a fairly rapid sports Bike, Why would you put cheap shit pads in it and then wonder why your experiencing problems, Wait till you need to pull her up quick :(
It's not like you have to replace them every few weeks in normal use..

Oil level,
Oil Change 2.8 ltrs
Oil and Filter change 3.1 ltrs
Regardless I would drop enough to get the correct level, But if you only changed the Oil your way over there....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: (
Alright, would gold fren sintered pads will be alright ? This one, GOLDfren Brake Pad 249. Thats the only pads I can find on my place currently.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not my first choice but they are Sintered and if that's the only alternative then yes pop some in.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Hey guys,
2012 Zx6r. Installed a new organic brake pads from unknown brand and after a few ride, it squeak, squeal when braking on low speed, also did it when I move the bike. Can I know how to fix this beside from getting another good brand of brake pads ?
And I did overfill the bike engine oil, total oil I use is about 3.65 litre / 3.8 quart of oil. Would it cause any damage ?
Thanks for reading.

-Danny
Brake pads make noise when they rattle in the caliper. We hear a squealing noise because of how often they do it. Pads with sintered metal vibrate more than other compounds because the metal spot welds to the iron rotor and then breaks the connection.

The pads rock back and forth, striking the piston like a clapper hitting a bell.

Brake grease is applied between the pistons and the back side of the pads, to absorb the vibration. The spring clips in the calipers are called anti rattle clips because they hold the pads in contact with the caliper body.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which mean the brake grease should quiet the thing down ?

·
Registered
177 Posts
It will but the point I was Trying to make was regardless of noise they've not got the stopping power of Sintered.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks man, will try it out and report back. Im not riding that hard or race anymore as this is my commute bike, the max speed I ever done just shy 100 mph.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sound is gone. What I did is push the piston all the way in and pump the master cylinder back up. It seem that the pad was rubbing against the disc all this while. Thanks for helping out.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
The sound is gone. What I did is push the piston all the way in and pump the master cylinder back up. It seem that the pad was rubbing against the disc all this while. Thanks for helping out.
Did you change the brake fluid, at any point in all of this? How long has the fluid been in your brake system?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi RJ, brake fluid was changed Dec 2020, bout 4 months ago.

·
Registered
14,138 Posts
Make it a habit to change it all completely every 12 months..... the fluid will absorb water out of the air. Only use fluid from a sealed container -- even the stuff you keep the cap screwed on, in your garage will absorb moisture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts