Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i just got a 1998 Kawasaki zx600r . and i hear a clicking sound coming from right below the tank area or in the engine area at high revs and when the engine is heated up :eek: .. and the clicking speed decreases as it decelerates..

could someone tell me what could could possibly be the problem. any advices or technical solutions ? :crying

·
Registered
12,819 Posts
Lotta moving parts in there so it could be a lotta things.

Google "Kawi Tick" and see if that might be the same sound youre hearing.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Cam chain tensioner :O
Valves out of spec :O
Something else :O

Could be a few things. A clearly done video with good sound may help us help you. And welcome!

Pics??!?!?!?!???!?!?! (Of the bike)

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Whoooy, man I thought you were begging for some bikini shots, you perv:devilish.
I gave up leg humping long ago when I dated someone from here :p

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
Hows she doin anyway??

She would pop in every now n then. Havent seen her post in a while tho.
She's good. She's not even on here much at all really anymore. I went over to her place for a BBQ with her dude and EvilTwin a few weeks back. Good times... good food. I left my damn Craftsman bottle opener over there! FACK!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cam chain tensioner :O
Valves out of spec :O
Something else :O

Could be a few things. A clearly done video with good sound may help us help you. And welcome!

Pics??!?!?!?!???!?!?! (Of the bike)
this is the video right now it doesn't have much noise but in the morning it was loud

any suggestions ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

yes i think thats the tick noise . i have atatached a video could you check that and let me know if its really the problem or my paranoia:coocoo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

yes i think thats the tick noise . i have atatached a video could you check that and let me know if its really the problem or my paranoia :coocoo

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Since you have a bike that used to have fairings, any mechanical noise is going to be exaggerated because some of the muffling is missing.

First thing I would do, is change the engine oil for fresh. There's nothing wrong with knowing you have the most critical internal cushioning working for you at it's best.

Then I would do a tune up. New plugs. New filters. Have the valve clearances inspected. Replace the engine coolant. Replace the brake fluid. Adjust all the controls to fit YOU.

Checking the valves, involves removing and resetting the automatic can chain tensioner (cct). When you hear tapping from the top end, it's frequently related to the cam drive system. Much of the time, that simple gizmo is nearly ready to move out a notch but hasn't done so yet. Resetting it will bring that about now, rather than whenever.

If you get lucky, that's the end of the noise and you can get on with enjoying the bike.

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
yes i think thats the tick noise . i have atatached a video could you check that and let me know if its really the problem or my paranoia :coocoo
I can hear a little noise but nothing that jumps right out at me as being a bad sign of anything.

I'd definitely give the bike a good going through like RJ has covered. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since you have a bike that used to have fairings, any mechanical noise is going to be exaggerated because some of the muffling is missing.

First thing I would do, is change the engine oil for fresh. There's nothing wrong with knowing you have the most critical internal cushioning working for you at it's best.

Then I would do a tune up. New plugs. New filters. Have the valve clearances inspected. Replace the engine coolant. Replace the brake fluid. Adjust all the controls to fit YOU.

Checking the valves, involves removing and resetting the automatic can chain tensioner (cct). When you hear tapping from the top end, it's frequently related to the cam drive system. Much of the time, that simple gizmo is nearly ready to move out a notch but hasn't done so yet. Resetting it will bring that about now, rather than whenever.

If you get lucky, that's the end of the noise and you can get on with enjoying the bike.
IS CR9EK ,the right size and right spark plug for my bike ? what oil and oil filter would you suggest ?

·
Registered
11,662 Posts
IS CR9EK ,the right size and right spark plug for my bike ? what oil and oil filter would you suggest ?
:bigthumb: yup

And there are a lot of opinions on oil and filters, but stock filters are always good. Do a search on here for threads already posted about oil. There are a lot of them. :dowhat

·
Registered
12,906 Posts
Best first step, is to download the shop manual for your bike from this site for free. Between that, and the owner's manual you'll always have the recommended parts, and grades available.

I don't own your model, so I am not positive about the plugs. Mine ('09), uses CR9 of some variety. I look it up, rather than trust my memory. It's a good idea to use some antiseize on the threads when you install. The plugs are steel, going into aluminum. Rust between them can be very expensive to repair.

Oil, that's always a hot button topic.so are oil filters. The recommended grade and additive package for the oil, is in the manual.... Stick with that as the minimum. I buy whatever is cheapest, which does that. JASO MA, or MA1 assures that the oil will not upset the wet clutch.

Filters, OEM is a good choice. I don't have any credible evidence that points to one brand or another being 'better'. Kawasaki has used one size filter for all their bikes for decades. I have better things to do with my time than trying to improve on that. I buy a filter that fits. And is reasonably priced.

I forgot to mention chain an sprockets...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts