Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there everybody, thought I'd make a post here since I sort of visit the forums. My good buddy kk2hernandez is a member here. I've gone with him on a couple rides with the Kawi dudes here in the SoCal area. I figure I will be going on more rides since you kawi dudes seem to be a cool group of riders!

I'm a moderator over at superduke.net forums, so that's where I'll mainly be. If anything you'll probably catch me here in the West Coast riders section.

Oh and sorry but I don't think I'll ever pick up a Kawi (well I have considered getting an old z1000 so I can have a reliable commuter. KTM and triumph haven't been so kind to me)

And we all know every thread is useless without ti... pics, so here ya go.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
I think you have very good taste in toys. Welcome. I've seen a Superduke in person, that looks like the very essence of motorcycle goodness, to me. Only what needs to be there.

What sort of issues have you had with it?

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Whats the world coming to when you have non Kawi owning members on here?

Reactions: zninja and 863JOE

·
Registered
1,041 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is that supposed to say have?
No, it's correct as is.

My duke has had tons of issues, Radiator breaking, oil leaks, fueling issues, not running at all, etc. Same with the triumph, I had to replace a motor already because it broke a bearing. Now it's crying oil from somewhere and running like shit.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
No, it's correct as is.

My duke has had tons of issues, Radiator breaking, oil leaks, fueling issues, not running at all, etc. Same with the triumph, I had to replace a motor already because it broke a bearing. Now it's crying oil from somewhere and running like shit.
Almost seems like a Ducati would be more reliable.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Almost seems like a Ducati would be more reliable.....
Perhaps lol. These are definitely "owners" bikes. While I have had more issues than most, superdukes are known to have a lot of issues in general. It's not 'Keep Throwing Money' for nothing lol.

The Speed triples are relatively known for blowing engines too.

·
Registered
13,067 Posts
Perhaps lol. These are definitely "owners" bikes. While I have had more issues than most, superdukes are known to have a lot of issues in general. It's not 'Keep Throwing Money' for nothing lol.

The Speed triples are relatively known for blowing engines too.
That's all good to know, and thanks for sharing it.

The more tightly wound a motor -- higher peak power-- the less reliable it becomes. That's unfortunate, but it's true.

Both KTM and Triumph are smaller mfgs; although Triumph is probably at least as 'big' as BMW by this point. Smaller production runs mean higher per unit costs, which means less testing time and less development time. That means more sh*t to go wrong on the customer.

Exotic is not your friend, if reliability is a desireable trait.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
No, it's correct as is.

:eh: wow... you must really love your bike to deal with all that. :D
I don't mind wrenching on my bike... but I don't have mechanical skill nor knowledge to deal with a lot of troubles.
That's why when it came down to should I get the Daytona or the 636, I went with the 636 because I read several good reviews as far as reliability... where as the Daytona... not so much.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually flew up to San Jose to buy my duke. Rode it back down the coast without any issues. Shortly after I encountered a myriad of problems that made the bike not even run at all. It basically was not rideable for half a year after only having it a month. It took a lot of tweaking and new parts (money) to get it functioning correctly again. Now I just get issues popping up here and there. There's always something going wrong lol.

The triumph, I literally had for a month before the motor blew up on me. Took me a while to procure (afford) another one, and when I finally got it in, it just ran like shit. I need to go through it again and then I need to go get it dyno'd to work properly. Also need to figure out where it's leaking oil from now (I think the starter).

Before these two bikes I had an 08 gsxr 750 (I got in an accident and completely destroyed it) and an 04 gsxr 750. Those bikes ran like champs, and I NEVER had issues with them.

Japanese definitely have reliability down big time, and it deserves a lot of credit.

Still, I love my bikes very much, and I like the fact not everyone rides them. Shit, Besides the couple people I ride with on my sd.net forums, I've only ever seen 2 standard SD's and one R model on the streets. I think I've only seen a few speed triples as well.

You know, before owning these bikes, I had absolutely ZERO mechanical knowledge (no exaggeration at all).

I know how to do all kinds of stuff now because of all the problems I've endured. I guess there's always a silver lining.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Welcome! Nice rides!

SuperDuke and SpeedTriple :yumyum: Those and the Tuono are the only bikes I'd leave my Honda 919 for (when it comes to nekkid bikes). But, the Honda is affordable, reliable, and easy (cheap) to tinker with. I've only had Jap bikes (Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha!) and none of them did anything wrong, except the SV650 that had a terrible tendency to short out the front spark plug when ridden in the rain.

I didn't think I would ever bleed green. The only reason I have my 2000 ZX6R is because some guy was tired of it and I was tired of the car I had... So we traded and after I fixed all the little stuff, I ride the ZX6R more than my 919.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I took kk2hernandez zx6r for a quick ride but my back said, "no thanks!" After the accident on my gsxr and breaking my back, I dont think I can ever deal with a race position again. Nakeds all day for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts