Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here but i have a 2015 zx6-r and everything on it is stock. what i want to do is just straight pipe it. but i noticed two cables running to the current muffler and have no clue what they do/if there necessary. ive heard and read a lot that straight piping ruins engines and what not but i also see a lot of people doing it.

i guess what sort of advice im looking for is where to straight pipe it from. either starting from A)the catalytic converter or B) from the header.

Secondly i wanted to know what i needed to do to make it so my bike doesn't blow itself up or what not. i see people talking about power commanders and im definitely new to all of this so that all sounds foreign to me.

thirdly what are those two cables and are they really needed

·
Registered
31 Posts
The two cables are for the servo motor that opens and closes the valve in the stock exhaust. You could run the bike without the cat and muffler but the bike will lose a bit of power due to loss of back pressure, my suggestion would be to buy a slip on muffler

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so what do i do with the servo cables if i buy a slip on?? sorry if these are retarded questions but yeah.....:oops:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Please just save for a slip on and do not ruin a brand new bike...if you straight pipe it you are going to spend more than the cost of a slip on to do it properly to not hurt the bike...

·
Registered
31 Posts
They arent needed after you get a slip on so u can just throw them out along with the cat. If you want something cheap you could get the m4 gp exhaust. Its about $300 and has a good sound

·
Registered
985 Posts
straight piping is going to cost me $150 where as slip on's range from $450-$800
Wait... you spent roughly $10K+ on a brand new, 2015 bike and now you want to put on a $100 pipe? Get a quality slip on or full exhaust man.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i think im going to go with the m4 but so all i have to do is install it and im good to go? no re-tuning or what not??

·
Registered
201 Posts
You do not have to re-tune the bike when you install a slip on but some afterfire will be heard and your bike will not be running at it's maximum potential.

The stock exhaust has a butterfly valve built in that is connected to a servo underneath your seat. This servo opens and closes the valve depending on the rpm of the engine creating more back pressure at lower rpm. When you install a slip on the servo is than disconnected from the butterfly. Some slip ons come with a bracket to install to the servo but I personally think a servo eliminator is worth it's value to just remove the entire servo from underneath your seat.

Also if you plan to remove your catalytic converter you definitely have to install block off plates. Block off plates are used to cover the openings left behind from removing the smog system. The smog system gives short blasts of air into the exhaust to help eliminate any unburnt fuel in the exhaust when it reaches the catalytic convertor so without the cat block off plates should be installed and ideally you should have a fuel controller and a proper tune.

For now if you just want to run a slip on go ahead and make sure you get one that includes the bracket for the servo or order a servo eliminator as well. If you don't do this your FI light will be blinking all the time driving anyone with OCD mad. When you're ready to do some serious upgrades try and avoid removing the catalytic converter until you can get block off plates, a fuel controller and a proper tune or auto tune. If you have the money to invest I'd get the block off plates with the slip on as well to reduce exhaust popping, unless you're into that sort of thing :O

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question because I just got a 2015 also. If I do decide to tune the bike what system is best to use just for a m4 slip on and the servo elimantor

1 - 18 of 18 Posts