Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So , I took the old girl out for a spin, first time riding this bike, a 1998 zx6r 2002 conversion
zx6r.jpg

zx6r 2.jpg
I notice though that there seems to be some slip on the clutch, all the gears fall into place like butter but sometimes the revs go way up and no real power to the wheel specially if I just twist the throttle wide open to pass other vehicles or just playing
I got the bike during winter and I have been rebuilding it since. Got the wiring harness redone and the body, replaced other missing parts and so on.
do you guys think the clutch is done or out of adjustment?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, I figure I should just go with a new clutch. This bike is such fun I think I'm going to completely overhaul the engine and keep it for myself and kids. I originally bought it as a project to turn into a track bike but the old girl just knows her ways around this guy LOL!

·
Registered
17,962 Posts

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
If the lever still has a little play in it after you let it go, then it's most likely an issue with the clutch itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
thanks guys, I figure I should just go with a new clutch. This bike is such fun I think I'm going to completely overhaul the engine and keep it for myself and kids. I originally bought it as a project to turn into a track bike but the old girl just knows her ways around this guy LOL!
Well you really should check the adjustment, if its adjusted wrong, your only going to prematurely ware the new clutch.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
If the lever still has a little play in it after you let it go, then it's most likely an issue with the clutch itself.
What??? You want 2-4 mm of play at the lever.

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
What??? You want 2-4 mm of play at the lever.
Yes, that is correct. What I'm saying is that if there is a little play at the lever (i.e. adjusted correctly), then the clutch should be fully engaged, so it should not be slipping unless there is a problem with the clutch itself.

If there is no play at the lever (i.e. adjusted too tight), then the lever may just need adjusting and the clutch itself may be fine.

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Yes, that is correct. What I'm saying is that if there is a little play at the lever (i.e. adjusted correctly), then the clutch should be fully engaged, so it should not be slipping unless there is a problem with the clutch itself.

If there is no play at the lever (i.e. adjusted too tight), then the lever may just need adjusting and the clutch itself may be fine.
Now I think were on the same page.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts