Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just woundering what everyone else did for the break in on the bikes...

I was considering using kawi's method... but that lasted all of... first gear.
anyways I only have 20 mile so far and let it warm up compleatly all 3 times I took her for a blast. I rev to about 7.5k and shift. Only went to 10k once.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm After reading this I am thinking I am still going a little too easy...

Should I just give her what she wants? Blast thru the gears on the highway?
Or should I go easy and dont take it above 6k?

Next subject is the oil change...
stick to the 600 or do it at 300 or 100 or even at 20 miles like what that artical says?

I was gonna just go easy and stick to 8k as the top rpm till I hit 200 miles then change the oil and take it to 10-12k till I hit 600 and change the oil again and beat the piss out of it.... or should I just change the oil now and beat the piss out of it like the artical says I should.

Any input would be great.. esp from the people who been riding and have owned a few bikes or maybe some of the track stars of the fourm.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
You'll get a lot of varied opinions on both subjects. There is no right or wrong, just people trying to convince you that what they did is the only way you should do it.

I personally tried to keep it within the manufacturers suggestions but after about 100km of that I said fuck it and gave her a raping. I didn't go over 10,000rpm for a while though. The bike has 26,000km on her now and nothing has gone wrong. Having said that, this is the first bike I've owned since new. We've had plenty of new cars though and revved the guts out of them straight out of the box. I think if you keep you servicing up to date and let the bike warm up she should give you a long life. Not many people keep their bikes long enough for something to go wrong with the engine anyway. You're more likely to upgrade or crash before then.

Concerning the oil thing. I have no idea. More often is best I guess. Especially when the engine has done under 1000km. You want to get out all the metal shavings. Mine gets a full service every 5000km.

·
Registered
992 Posts
dont abuse her ride her nice dont rev out the gears go threw have a good time you can crack some wheelies if you want..but keep it smooth

·
Registered
964 Posts
Just ride the speed limit.. and you will be fine, Just vary the RPM from time to time by upshifting and down shifting.. I change oil at 500.. and then at 2000.. and every 2000 from there on.. and always change the filter when changing the oil..:thumbup

·
Registered
654 Posts
As Quarkz said everyone says a different way. I myself am currently running in a ZX6R. At present I only have about 180 km on it. The max I have revved it to was about 8000. However a guy at a Kawasaki dealership told me if you baby them they will have problems down the track and not run as good as they should. I will just stick to 8000 and under for the first 1000km and then start to ride a bit harder.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I myself would follow the the factory recs.But as u feel the motor start to loosen up start feedn' it to it,babyn' it is not so good.Keep it within YOUR limits and shiny side up.

·
Registered
764 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
What is that at da back of ur bike...da pics so small...my eyes r so old.

·
Registered
900 Posts
First 125 I had was a Honda Superdream, did exactly as the manual said for running in, never caned it etc, it seized twice in the first 1500 miles, turns out the oil pump was stripped off half its teeth so it didn't always pump oil.
Honda replaced the bike and I thought f**k it, I caned that bike for 15000 miles over an 8 month period and it never missed a beat or let me down.
I new I was never going to keep it long term so whatthe F**K not my problem. Bikes have run in and kept don't baby them (glazes barrels) and don't cane the nuts off them (end up too loose too soon) and they'll pay you back in spades.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I followed manufacturers specs for the first 500 miles, changed the oil and fallowed it for the next 350 miles, changed the oil and slowly started running the piss out of it. I have an 06 with 13 thousand miles on it and I've never had an issue with anything. I even did the first service myself. Had the valves checked like I was supposed to and everything was right where it was supposed to be, no adjustments needed. I'd say just do what feels right to you, everyone does things there own way and I've read a million different opinions on this exact subject. Have fun, wear gear and get some track days in when you get a chance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The running-in of engines dates back to the days when manufacturing tolerances were really poor, the first few hundred miles of the engines life were all about getting the various components to 'rub themselves' to fit - often pistons wouldn't fit the bores properly until they had worn themselves away slightly, hence why in the 'old days' engines burnt lots of oil in the process.

Nowadays, modern engines are built with much better tolerances and design (especially Japanese bike engines) and really require very little time to achieve the same result.

If you are too easy on the engine from day one, there is the theory that the engine will never achieve even the slightest bit of 'running-in' which can end up with you having a bike that always feels too tight and new.

Plus if you get the oil changed at 600 miles and then use fully synthetic oil, any further running-in will be halted because of the supreme lubrication qualities of fully synthetic oil......

I have worked in the motor trade for over 10 years (unfortunately in cars...) and the best cars in terms of performance and reliability are those that have been driven fairly hard from day 1, it is better to let the engines spin to higher revs than let them labour in too high gear.

So, best advice is ride it how you would 'normally' ride, don't rev the nuts off it for a 1000 miles or so, but don't ride it like a grandad either!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts