Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great forum! Love the insight on here.

I bought a 2020 636 thinking track. Now that I have it love it to much to not ride everyday. I was thinking of picking up a old gen 636 and convert that to a track day bike and keep driving the new one as a daily. Thoughts? Would a 08, or 12-13 perform 95% of the 2020?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
245 Posts
Really loved the orange color on the 6R, sadly I missed out on them due to funds, was sad the 21 didn't come in orange but the teal looks good too so I guess it's a wash lol.

I have an 05 I want to make a track bike now, just can't stomach flinging the new bike around lol. That said, any model you can comfortable pay for and get setup for tracks (safety wire, tires, fluids, etc) will work just fine.

Enjoy the new bike though!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Love that orange.

From what I know (not much) the 2013 and later bikes have the 636 but something like 2009 thru 2012 have the 600 engine. Some differences between years of 600s in power. 2013 and later have traction control. For a track bike the frame is the same and gearbox as far as I know is the same ratios so on track will be similar. 636s have more midrange but power differences for track use are outweighed by rider talent. Less skilled rider on a 636 will not be faster than a more skilled rider on a 600. I would look for stuff that benefits track use and not worry too much about the other stuff. 2013+ did not come with a steering damper but some prior years did.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Supercharged BRZ 2018 BMW X3 M40i
13 Posts
Great forum! Love the insight on here.

I bought a 2020 636 thinking track. Now that I have it love it to much to not ride everyday. I was thinking of picking up a old gen 636 and convert that to a track day bike and keep driving the new one as a daily. Thoughts? Would a 08, or 12-13 perform 95% of the 2020? View attachment 110694 View attachment 110694
Love your bike! I have the same one with an akra slip on. Definitely enjoy riding it everyday (even though I only have a 10 min commute). I love opening it up; it sounds like F1 car/ a tie fighter. I was actually thinking of just tracking it as-is when I get the time off

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really loved the orange color on the 6R, sadly I missed out on them due to funds, was sad the 21 didn't come in orange but the teal looks good too so I guess it's a wash lol.

I have an 05 I want to make a track bike now, just can't stomach flinging the new bike around lol. That said, any model you can comfortable pay for and get setup for tracks (safety wire, tires, fluids, etc) will work just fine.

Enjoy the new bike though!
I was lucky to find it in orange! I only bought it used because they didn't make the 21 in Orange! I love it!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Love your bike! I have the same one with an akra slip on. Definitely enjoy riding it everyday (even though I only have a 10 min commute). I love opening it up; it sounds like F1 car/ a tie fighter. I was actually thinking of just tracking it as-is when I get the time off
Brother from another mother!!! F1 for sure. I only have a 10 minute commute as well but I love every minute of it. I live in a little lake town in the middle of no where in upstate NY with twisites everywhere, the thumbs up I get and throttle twists can be over whelming though. Everyone that see's me (or hears me) tries to get me to open it up, which I oblige but keeping under 100 is tough stuff.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I track/race the 2012 zx6r and I'd def recommend setting up any 09+ for track use versus using a much more expensive late model zx6r for the track. Like others have said, the important things in the beginning are a basic platform with a reliable engine, stock suspension correctly set for your rider weight, good tires with pressures set correctly, good brake pads, good fluids and a clean lubed chain. You can add some performance upgrades over time, but not really mandatory in the beginning. My philosophy was to see how much I could develop as a track rider with a stock set up and basic tires, before adding performance upgrades.

Keep that beautiful new bike looking amazing on the streets!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I track/race the 2012 zx6r and I'd def recommend setting up any 09+ for track use versus using a much more expensive late model zx6r for the track. Like others have said, the important things in the beginning are a basic platform with a reliable engine, stock suspension correctly set for your rider weight, good tires with pressures set correctly, good brake pads, good fluids and a clean lubed chain. You can add some performance upgrades over time, but not really mandatory in the beginning. My philosophy was to see how much I could develop as a track rider with a stock set up and basic tires, before adding performance upgrades.

I just got a 2011 zx6r as a dedicated track bike a few months ago and am super excited to get out on track. I did add some performance upgrades but I have a similar philosophy where I want to build up my skills before I do anything like aftermarket suspension

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Great advice! I will be looking for +09 or better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts