Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my L plates since Jan and getting very bored very quickly of my YZFR125 so bought myself a zx-6r c6f on ebay last week.
Just picked it up an its sitting in my garage waiting for me to (hopefully) pass my test on the 24th! (Not outta choice, my mum has stolen my plate as for some reason she doesnt trust me!!)
Started it up earlier and OMG! I thought I was nervous for my test but now im more scarred to get home an take on our north east english roads! Cant decide between Alston/Heartside or Kielder!
If anyones from up this way nice to hear from you as I feel im surrounded by americans (no offence intended!) and would appreciate a little advice on the bike.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Surrounded by Yanks. ha ha. OK.
Welcome aboard.
Do I understand your going to take this test on this bike?
If that's the case, Your mum should let you ride it some to at least get
familiar with it. Learn its secrets & such.
Plus you want to know if its going to pass the test too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I don't understand how this works.. UK doesn't allow you to just hop on any bike off the bat, correct? Do you have to pass multiple tests on multiple displacement bikes? If it's anything like the tests they give here in the states, I'd have to agree. Practice on it because they don't have the turning radius of the smaller bikes.. And they're geared to GO GO GO. Smooth and steady wrist is key. :) Best of luck to you. Enjoy and BE SAFE!

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
buy gear, wear gear, and take it easy for the first few months on the 6. It is a much different beast than the 125. I'm sure you'll figure that out before you even get to the end of the road, but its going to do EVERYTHING differently. Don't get comfortable, complacent, or cocky on it after a week or two. You'll only get hurt.

Take your test on the 125, then come home and show your mumzie that you passed, and go enjoy your 6r!

Welcome aboard, btw.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
Welcome & be safe.
Those bikes are like unicorns & glitter....
NOTHING alike (other than having 2 wheels).
LOL

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ya. Why can't you take your test on he yamaha? I'd be way easier.
If he takes it on a 125cc he can only ride a bike up to that size for 2 years as a restricted rider.

We have a programe here called Direct Access though, you do Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) on a 125cc then you move on to a 46 BHP big bike such as a ER5 or CB500 for a few days training on that, then you sit your test on the 46 BHP bike and that will let you hop on any bike you want once test passed.

Rules for mopeds and motorcycles used for riding tests : Directgov - Motoring

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
If he takes it on a 125cc he can only ride a bike up to that size for 2 years as a restricted rider.

We have a programe here called Direct Access though, you do Compulsary Basic Training (CBT) on a 125cc then you move on to a 46 BHP big bike such as a ER5 or CB500 for a few days training on that, then you sit your test on the 46 BHP bike and that will let you hop on any bike you want once test passed.

Rules for mopeds and motorcycles used for riding tests : Directgov - Motoring
Hmm. It makes sence to make sure motorcyclists are capable of handling a bike before they are lincensed to ride it on the public roads.

The program we crazy Americans have here is this: if you have the money, you can buy whatever you want. Gee, I wonder why so many people crash.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Welcome from an Australian mate :) any pics?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow thanks for all the response.
Haha oldninjadude I was tryin to put it polity but yea everyone seems to be american round here!
I ZX636R CAMMY5106 is right, I cant take the test on the Yamaha because I will be restricted to 33bhp for TWO YEARS which is just no good when I have a 636 in the garage. Also i cant take my test on that coz they wont insure me untill i have my licence! This means that you have to give a riding school £500 for a full training course and borrow a CB500 for your test! Such a pain over here in the UK, cant believe LarryJ that's the case in america but i suppose you lot don't know what a roundabout or a corner is!!
I thanks for the advice ZOOMSPLAT i shall take heed, got some kawi leathers with the bike so all i need now is boots and gloves and ill look like a proper biker!

Put a couple pictures up in the forum (The tortious and the hare!)

Alex Gold your too right about heartside, i only live 10mile from alston so have driven it quite abit in the car but dont think it's gonna compare to it on two whells! Cant wait!

Anyway thanks for the warm welcome :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The bike looks great. I'm sure you will be fine. I still feel the nerves at the start line. Relax and take it slow. The bike will show you what it wants. As started before, stay focused and alert and you will do fine. Best of luck from another of the Yanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers man, just need to get rid of the awful aftermarket graphics on the swing arm and wheels then tidy up that horrible back end and i'll be gettin somewhere.

Ip; was lookin through the bike of the month forums with some mates... your bike got the loudest response lol, well deserved win gotta say!

Been on a couple track days before, one in a vtr and one in my turbo 2000. Think it's gonna b a while before i have the confidence on two wheels to do it like but can imagine it'll be incredible. Gives me shivers just thinkin of the adrenaline rush!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Cheers man, just need to get rid of the awful aftermarket graphics on the swing arm and wheels then tidy up that horrible back end and i'll be gettin somewhere.

Ip; was lookin through the bike of the month forums with some mates... your bike got the loudest response lol, well deserved win gotta say!

Been on a couple track days before, one in a vtr and one in my turbo 2000. Think it's gonna b a while before i have the confidence on two wheels to do it like but can imagine it'll be incredible. Gives me shivers just thinkin of the adrenaline rush!!
Mate it is amazing what you can learn about you and your machine on a track day, no matter how fast you are. You get to put a bike as close to its limits as you want to without traffic, police and pedestrians while in a safe envronment with plenty of people on hand to advise and assist. Its not all about speed junkies and racers as you would be led to believe.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
welcome...nice looking bike and good luck with your test.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts