Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
42 year old rider with 22 years riding experience. Picked up a dam near showroom stock 05 with 28000km on it. Owned several higher displacement street bikes, including an FZ09, ZRX1100, VFR750, and my 77 CB750f We have a local track in the interior of B.C. and have gotten the bug, so picked up a “little” 636 to sharpen my craft with! Look forward to learning from you guys while I take this stock 05 and get it dialed in for track and sport street riding!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well it’s been cold wet and snowing just a few hundred feet above my houses elevation so Winter Mod season has begun!

i picked this system up from another member here, and decided to get started on the install. in all honesty I didn’t realize I was getting an offset outlet pipe, so now as I’m still planning on putting a plate back on it next year I need to sort out a mount and signals...

that stock muffler is a boat anchor! Header is well built but heavy too!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
While the fairings were off I decided to remove the little intake “muffler” (helmholtz chamber) I had an electrical knock out panel plug that Was stainless With an O-ring, and fit perfectly to plug the hole. Interested to see how the intake noise changes.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts
Highly suggest your 15 year old bike get the front forks serviced, at minimum, clean completely and put in fresh oil, bushings and seals
and clean the calipers and master cylinder, install new steel lines and flush flush and flush some more ( I would disassemble the calipers and master and rebuild properly with new seals!)
Shock, you could simply get it refreshed and get the proper spring rates for your weight, front and rear if keeping expenses low is a priority...........

You will not see any intake noise difference (it was there to slow the incoming air to drop the moisture out when raining, foggy etc)

Reactions: PhotoAl and Strider

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Highly suggest your 15 year old bike get the front forks serviced, at minimum, clean completely and put in fresh oil, bushings and seals
and clean the calipers and master cylinder, install new steel lines and flush flush and flush some more ( I would disassemble the calipers and master and rebuild properly with new seals!)
Shock, you could simply get it refreshed and get the proper spring rates for your weight, front and rear if keeping expenses low is a priority...........

You will not see any intake noise difference (it was there to slow the incoming air to drop the moisture out when raining, foggy etc)
Thanks, I’m just doing some of the easy/fun service stuff now. My last two bikes being a heavily worked on ZRX1100, and a piped and flashed FZ09, the old ZX6r felt like it needed a pipe!

My local shop owner used to race an 05 says he has some Fork springs for me when he can find them, I plan on getting forks freshened up, and shock serviced then.

I bled the front Brakes after riding it from the previous owners house, the previous owner had the front master replaced, probably due to the issues reported on the stock 05/06, and I noticed some brake fluid on the caliper after the ride home so I thought I had a bad caliper seal. I removed pads, oddly they were dry, pushed pistons out, Cleaned and lubed with a little brake fluid, the fluid coming out was clear, but slightly darker than what went in, but (was 4.5hr away from my shop) everything was smooth and pretty Clean, I reinstalled pads, checked brake lines, moved up to master checked it... I think the dodo overfilled the reservoir and it spilled down the bike along the brake line and ran down the edge of the caliper, as I’ve never found a leak in a seal, brake line fitting master etc. I left the brake Pulled and a strap holding it overnight and had no weeping from anywhere so felt good to go Ride home. I have braided brake lines sitting on the work bench. I also plan on a valve clearance service, as I have no clue when it’s been done. Im also unsure on the chain, it’s starting to show some loose/tight spots, and I have no clue how old it is. So for track days and mtn road sport riding I will swap it out before next spring.
Unfortunately I have six months until, riding season as my plans of a winter trip to California are gone due to COVID, so I have LOTS of time to wrench between now and then!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a little scotch brite and wd40 to my “new” Hindle pipes, test fit them, dug through my garage to find either A. an O2 plug, or B my AEM wideband O2 gauge and it’s sensor, to fill the port welded in on #4 primary tube. (found the gauge, so now I can see if it still works!)

The pipes are 16.4lbs lighter than the stock system!

Also sounds like these bikes have been known to cook ECUs so I grabbed a roll of DEI cool tape, and got “creative” I also removed the servo and cables, I have a PC3 to install to help with the fueling, and plan to machine some block off plates on my mill over winter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I used to work for one of the largest OE and aftermarket exhaust manufacturers in North America, in the training they explained the concepts of Helmholtz chambers tuned to specific intake or exhaust frequencies, to reduce vehicle noise for passing noise levels. I hadnt heard of a use specific to moisture, although with it positioned at the bottom of the ram air tube I can see how it would collect said moisture. With track day tires, and having a second bike for road trips I doubt that I will see many damp days on this bike. Not sure I’m going to follow the race manuals advice of removing the bug screen, I’ve caught several large insects on that screen already.

·
Registered
8,203 Posts

I used to work for one of the largest OE and aftermarket exhaust manufacturers in North America, in the training they explained the concepts of Helmholtz chambers tuned to specific intake or exhaust frequencies, to reduce vehicle noise for passing noise levels. I hadnt heard of a use specific to moisture, although with it positioned at the bottom of the ram air tube I can see how it would collect said moisture. With track day tires, and having a second bike for road trips I doubt that I will see many damp days on this bike. Not sure I’m going to follow the race manuals advice of removing the bug screen, I’ve caught several large insects on that screen already.

I have hit birds and had them take themselves and the screen right into the airbox.... dead of course..........

So having a few bugs get caught on it is childs play.... lol

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I was snowshoeing last weekend but this weekend I got the Hindle full exhaust fully installed, and a Dynojet PC3 wired in. Loaded up the Hindle and air filter map. I also blocked off the Air injection. Went for very brisk ride, but I think the bike is running well!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brake mounted and bled, used a reverse bleeder pushing fluid from caliper to master. Brake bleed went super quick. Man I wish I could test this out, but winter is here so will be several months before I get to. (No winter road trip south either, the way things are going Covid wise). Time to pull the ZX6R off the work stand and put the CB750 up. Rear brake needs a rebuild which means paint on rim got ruined, and well I need a new tire on that wheel so time to strip the wheel, paint it, rebuild caliper and get new tire...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts