Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 636 is pushing out antifreeze through the tube that hangs down to the belly fairings. It doesn't overheat, just pushes it out. Not a lot, just a little bit. But I cant figure out why. Anyone have some info that may help me?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'm guessing when pressure builds and it has nowhere else to go it goes out the overflow tube. When i overfilled my overflow tank, once it would get real hot and i turned it off, it would leak some out of the tube. I'm pretty sure its normal.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my overflow tank is empty though. and it starts about a minute after the bike starts.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My overflow is always really low, I've given up caring about it. If yr worried then check the coolant before you ride by opening the rad cap

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
never had my bike overflow.. Try a different rad cap with a different preasure rating on it?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
i would just replace the rad cap. you dont want to go with a higher rating because you will over pressurise your coolong system and could potentionaly pop seals. when your cap fails it is unable to sustain the factory pressure for your system so technically your system is acting like its over heating when it's not and it will push the coolant out the over flow hose. if you replace the cap and make sure everything is snug you should stop leaking coolant.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i will try this in the morning. i have a spare rad so im pretty sure it has a cap on it. ill try using that one and see if it makes a difference. thanks to all.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Not long ago, I thought I was loosing Anti Freeze through the drain hose, but upon closer inspection, when the bike warmed up there was another hose with a clamp on it that was loose and leaking fluid from it when warmed. The fluid dripped down just like it had came from the tube.

Wouldn't hurt to make sure that's where you're really loosing it from.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
good call. ill check on that. that would be great if it turns out to be an easy fix. i would like to be able to ride sometime this year. so far im not pacing too well. hehe.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so i checked and it is actually leaking out the drainage outlet passage at the bottom of the water pump housing. so i guess this is going to be fun. but at least it is diagnosed. i know what i gotta do. just hoping the impeller isn't damaged.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
upon tearing the water pump apart i find that the bolt that holds the impeller onto the shaft has snapped. so waitin for a new shaft. yeah tried to get the rest of the bolt out with an easy out and it snapped off inside so the old shaft is junk. $30 for a new one isnt bad though. thanks to all that helped. should have it back together thursday.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
upon tearing the water pump apart i find that the bolt that holds the impeller onto the shaft has snapped..
Jesus, lucky you didn't take my 'advice' :laugh

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

so there are the pics. you can see the easy out snapped off down inside. the drill bit went a little to the one side when he was drilling. then the easy out just ended up grabbing the threads and breaking. and how friggin great is the other pic... my bike is torn apart and my car is torn apart. all awaiting parts to arrive. makes me sick to think about it. lol.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jesus, lucky you didn't take my 'advice' :laugh
all we can do is try to help each other. "bad advice"(lol j/k) is better than none at all. i think so anyway. without everyone on here I probably would have had to take it to a dealer costing a fortune that I dont have. which is kinda like hittin a brick wall...:banghead

1 - 16 of 16 Posts