Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to purchase some new gear soon and I would like to know your opinions and what you would buy. I have a budget of $500 and I would like to get chest and back protectors (full upper body armor if possible), and a jacket.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Always good used jackets on ebay and craigslist in my experience. And the back and chest protection could be something you buy brand new. Get the stryker rig if you want full torso protection in a lightweight material.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like the stryker rig but I don't really care for the black and red. I would really like to find something black and green of course.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I'd just go with this and upgrade the back protector from the foam.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the link, I really like that Motorhead. I want that stryker vest also but it's just the wrong colors

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Get a jacket that's perforated or textile for summer riding... makes a huge difference. Don't worry about back and chest protectors on the street, that stuff is more for if you highside. Which you shouldn't unless you're going track speeds.

Ive always found that Icon leather jackets are more of a relaxed cut and not a sport cut. This means they wont be as comfortable as say an A* leather jacket when you're hunched over on the bike.

Their textiles are great though.

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
Get a jacket that's perforated or textile for summer riding... makes a huge difference. Don't worry about back and chest protectors on the street, that stuff is more for if you highside. Which you shouldn't unless you're going track speeds.

Ive always found that Icon leather jackets are more of a relaxed cut and not a sport cut. This means they wont be as comfortable as say an A* leather jacket when you're hunched over on the bike.

Their textiles are great though.
This is all true. My Icon leather isn't unbearable in heat though after I remove the liner and open all the vents. Probably has a lot to do with it being white though. And yes, it is a more neutral cut so it isn't as precurved as A* or Dainese or others. Of course that means that you don't look like you're bracing to take a shit when you're off the bike :tounge2:

I have Dainese too btw :D:

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
This is all true. My Icon leather isn't unbearable in heat though after I remove the liner and open all the vents. Probably has a lot to do with it being white though. And yes, it is a more neutral cut so it isn't as precurved as A* or Dainese or others. Of course that means that you don't look like you're bracing to take a shit when you're off the bike :tounge2:

I have Dainese too btw :D:
I wear a 1 piece so I look as ridiculous as possible. :laugh

·
Registered
9,152 Posts
I wear a 1 piece so I look as ridiculous as possible. :laugh
Awesome, that's step 2 after step 1 of me getting leather pants that zip into my jacket :tounge2:

Sure would make changing at work a hassle though :(

·
Premium Member
8,203 Posts
Thanks for the link, I really like that Motorhead. I want that stryker vest also but it's just the wrong colors
They make it in black/red. And it actually looks bitchin. PG uses this under his jacket and it has really changed my attitude about Icon products, in that I think it is a good affordable option for body armor. I have been thinking about buying the womens version since I don't wear anything under my leathers when I'm doing canyon rides.

For affordable jackets you can check out Teknic, Fieldsheer, and AGV Sport. they make good quality stuff that is in an affordable range.

Edit: I just saw that you don't like the black and red. Really, my opinion on it is that you're wearing it UNDER your jacket anyway. Who gives a shit about what it looks like if it keeps your spine and ribs protected?

With that being said, you can pick up a decent textile jacket (I'd look into Carbolex material) and wear the armor under that as awell if you are concerned about it being too hot.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
t-scream_jkt_2.jpg

t-scream_jkt_back_2.jpg I really like this style and you can upgrade the padding. I just don't know if it will protect me as well as leather.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
^^^ That looks really good. I have the stryker neon yellow one army required to right n shit. Only think i'm not a fan of is that my back gets hella sweaty with it on. I felt as if I was sweating more with that and a longsleeve shirt on then just wearing a tshirt under a textile jacket.

With the jackets that have the foam inserts could you replace that with a hard time? Or is it better just wearing armor under your jacket? Not trying to tread jack just hoping to have my first track day/ridesmart thing coming up in a month or so. They have full leather rentals. Was wandering if I should wear my stryker under it. And in the future if I buy leathers to replace with hard parts?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts