Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Im new to the bigger bikes, used to ride an Aprilia RS125 as my first bike. And now I recently bought an 02/07 ZX600P with 11k (km). (My avatar is actually the picture of the bike.)

I was told that the fault was amongst the 636 engine bikes of the year 2007. I test drove it before I bought it and also had a friend check it out and everything seemed well and ran smooth, shifting was also ok.

The next day after a moderate drive. (PS: towards the end of the ride, on my way back home there were light showers) When the bike was idle just outside the garage, while I was opening the garage everything was good, but as soon as I drove the bike inside, it just started steaming. The temperature was around 101C steam was coming out from underneath the tank and as soon as i got off the bike a whole lot of oil simultaneously dripped out also from what seemed to be underneath the tank.

I contacted the seller and he said if i pay extra he might consider taking it back and replacing it with an '08 ZX6r. Though I've seen the other bike and I prefer mine since this one has better exhaust system, nicer body kit and since I'm still going to pay extra perhaps it would be enough to just fix it.

Very sorry for the insanely long post, though i just wanted to ask for advice whether i should just go for the '08 or just have my bike checked and fixed.

Specifications:
My ZX600P
February 2007
11,138km
Two Brothers Exhaust
New Dunlop tires
San Carlo body kit

The other bike
ZX6R 2008
5211km
Everything else stock
Green/black body

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
Get out from under the bike you have now. Get your money back from the seller. Buy somewhere else.

If they have already taken unfair advantage of you, what makes you think they would be honest on the second bike?

·
Super Moderator
13,322 Posts
Get out from under the bike you have now. Get your money back from the seller. Buy somewhere else.

If they have already taken unfair advantage of you, what makes you think they would be honest on the second bike?
Run forest. Run!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Yea dude get your money back, go else where.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He wouldn't give me the money back. That would have been my first option. He only agreed on either swapping with the other or nothing. Since according to him it's not his problem, I checked it prior to purchase and I agreed on buying it so it's my responsibility. His words.

·
Registered
14,141 Posts
He wouldn't give me the money back. That would have been my first option. He only agreed on either swapping with the other or nothing. Since according to him it's not his problem, I checked it prior to purchase and I agreed on buying it so it's my responsibility. His words.
His words, and the words of the law may be different. Find out.

If you have no choice but to chose another bike from the same person, I would get an inspection done on the 'other' bike by a third party mechanic you know and trust before you accept it. Get an estimate for repairs to the one you have now, as well. If you can get the seller to pay the cost of repairs, it might be worth going that route.

There's no doubt there is something significant wrong with the one you have now. Unless you got it for nearly no cost, I would have no emotional attachment to it.

Do some research on what an '08 in Malta is worth, so you know if the price is out of whack.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Your seller fucked you. Get a good lawyer a fuck this guy's day up. That steeming sounds like a cracked head or block spewing out coolant.

·
Registered
8,727 Posts
Likely not a cracked head or warped head....duh
Or a waterline came off
or a clamp was missing
or a hose burst
or it idled so long it overheated and spewed some coolant
or or or.....

Until you know what is wrong with the one you have now you are making a huge fuss over what may be a $2 fix or a $200 fix. It is fine to be upset and disatisfied but know exactly what you are dealing with before making any real decisions.

Is the radiator full?
Is the recovery tank full and the overflow hose routed where?
Where is the oil leak coming from?
post up some pictures! or video....you'll likely need to remove some bodywork and the tank

I would first find out what is actually wrong with the bike, then seek actions against the seller if that is warranted.
I do find it very shady for the guy to not stand behind what he sells for even a day and for that alone I sure wouldn't give him yet more money to take the other bike.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Actually I had this happen on one of my '08s on a ride. In my case the oil cooler cracked on the inside. The oil cooler is mounted on the back side of the oil filter bracket. When it happened to me it pushed all the oil into the cooling system and all vented out the cooling system overflow under the bike. It was an ugly steaming chocolate milk shake mess under the bike and inside the cooling system. I replaced the oil cooler and had to flush the cooling system several times but it's good as new now. Your issue sounds exactly what happened to me. P.S. I got an oil cooler off of Ebay for 10 bucks. You can pull the oil cooler off (starter has to be removed to get it off) and if it's cracked on the inside you should be able to pressurize the cooler and see if it's cracked.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
or...just listen to those guys lol,

edit: however, i do stand by the "lemon" statement, buying a bike and it breaking the next day, may be back luck, but at the same time i could of been something the original owner neglected.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Also, you might actually be able to pull the hoses going to the oil cooler and pressurize the hoses and determine if it's leaking internally before pulling it (save some work if that's not the problem). I haven't actually gone out and looked at my bike to know whether it's possible or not. Only problem with that is you would be pushing coolant back into the oil system so it's probably better just to take it off.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
P.S. Pull the cap off of your coolant reservoir. If you have the problem I had with the cracked oil cooler your reservoir will probably be a chocolaty mess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I will check whether it is something like what @trackdayhero said or whatever it may be and estimate the cost. Try a bit harder on getting refund and let you guys know how it all turns out.

I bought the bike for €3,800 in Lithuania. (In Malta it would start from about 1900-2200euro more for just stock)

Can't post pictures of the bike today, because it's at the service to have it checked.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Likely not a cracked head or warped head....duh
Well, maybe I'm off then, but when the head/block was cracked in my mustang, it was spewing steam everywhere. I was assuming engines worked similarly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well I just found out I might be looking at a gasket issue, and the repair cost if for it is around €80.

PS: The seller has now officially stopped replying to my emails/calls.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts