Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I decided to save a couple of bucks this weekend and perform a couple of upgrades in my garage on my 05 ZX6R.

Problem #1 - trying to remove front sprocket - i borrowed an impact wrench from a friend but my question is can I put the bike in gear and apply the wrench to the sprocket nut. I've read that it should be removed with the chain still installed with the rear tire on the ground but I already removed the chain because I'm replacing it with an RK chain.

Problem #2 - the stealership wanted to charge me 90 bucks per wheel to replace the tires but only 20 with the wheels removed - so I got the rear wheel off using the toolkit that came with the bike and it really wasn't too hard. I get to the front wheel and remove the calipers then loosen the 4 pinch bolts at the bottom of the front shocks - now i don't have a tool in the kit for the front axel nut. It looks to be about a 16 - 18mm allen hex head which I can not find at any automotive or home hardware store. Anyone know exactly what size this is and where I can get this tool?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
553 Posts
For the axle I just made a tool to fit using a bolt that the head would fit into the axle (the part the wrench goes on). Kind of a ******* way of doing it but it worked. As far as the sprocket goes, I've always had the rear tire on the ground, I suppose you can leave it in gear but be aware that it's going to be on pretty tight, your going to have the same issue putting it back on and it needs to be torqued down to the proper specs as well.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
i leave it together then loosen the front sprocket first with the chain on and wheel on the ground. The local stealership charges 10 bucks if whhel not on the bike and 22 if its on the bike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys. I actually bought the tool for the front axle. I'm taking the wheels to the shop today and then i'll throw them on the bike with the new chain before i start on the front sprocket. Let y'all(Texan) know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts