Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 zx6r and I am having electrical issues. The bike sat for a few years and now I am trying to get it running again. I bought a new battery and when I hit the starter, the starter relay just clicks, nothing else happens. I have tested the fuel pump hooked directly to battery and it works. If I unhook the fuel pump the starter will turn over and it will run off a fuel bottle. I have also replaced the starter relay and fuel pump relay. Trying to start the bike in neutral and with kickstand switch bypassed. Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

·
Registered
12,899 Posts
Take the cables off the starter, and the starter relay. Clean up the metallic contact areas, so there is no corrosion. Do the same with the negative battery cable, at both ends. The frame connection in particular.

Great everything you take apart, with dielectric grease so it doesn't corrode again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the cables off the starter, and the starter relay. Clean up the metallic contact areas, so there is no corrosion. Do the same with the negative battery cable, at both ends. The frame connection in particular.

Great everything you take apart, with dielectric grease so it doesn't corrode again.
I’ll give that a try!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s weird if I unplug either the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay it will fire but not with both plugged in.

·
Registered
12,899 Posts
So the problem is likely common to both. If the path for current to flow is not open (you just reduced the odds of that), the next most likely problem is a short circuit.

When you unplug the pump or pump relay, you open the path the short is on.

I'd expect that the pump has an issue..... The relay feeds the pump, right? With the pump disconnected, you have the problem, if the relay is still connected?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the problem is likely common to both. If the path for current to flow is not open (you just reduced the odds of that), the next most likely problem is a short circuit.

When you unplug the pump or pump relay, you open the path the short is on.

I'd expect that the pump has an issue..... The relay feeds the pump, right? With the pump disconnected, you have the problem, if the relay is still connected?
If the pump is disconnected engine turns over with relay plugged in, if I disconnect the relay the engine turns over with pump plugged in, pump doesn’t make a noise

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the new fuel pump helped but still not starting every time I hit the starter, and now it looks like I’ll have to rebuild the carbs since there is a nice puddle of Sunoco 112 on the floor.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
^ not weird and not surprised on either/any issues....... that is what happens when you let them sit for a few years ?!

Sounds like you have more work to do and you will eventually be able to enjoy riding it

What else is old and crusty and needs attention!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok here is the latest, it depends on what the fuel pump case comes in contact with if it will start, if it touches metal ( like frame ) it will start.I’m assuming it is a ground issue somewhere.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fuel filter been changed? There could be some cloggage in the filter. I think they go for 9 buckaroos. Might be worth a shot if you are still scratching your head.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sounds like you just found the problem, the ground path for the fuel pump is not complete. If you have the wiring diagram see if you can figure out how it is supposed to be grounded and check that connection.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts