Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 ZX6R and I'm having a major issue that I can't seem to figure out.

My headlights, starter switch, and gear light is not working. I thought is was the battery so I brought a new one, still nothing. I thought it could be the fuse so I tested them all, still nothing. All the other things work fine: horn, taillight, blinkers.....

Now for the problem:
When you press the start switch nothing happens, no sounds of any kind. I took apart the starter switch to clean it and make sure there was a good connection, but still nothing. Also, the neutral light is not coming out, don't know if it is connected.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i would start by checking your fuses or for any wires that look to be F'ed up

·
Registered
958 Posts
Download the manual, look at each problem you are having and try to locate one component that interacts with all of the individual problems.

In the service manual, if I have the correct one, page 2-42 has the troubleshooting steps you should take. It tells you what to expect when you turn the ignition to "on" and where to look to diagnose any problem you locate.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I would check the Neutral Switch sensor. On my bike, it won't start if it's not in neutral. The headlights only come on when it's on.

Your neutral light is not coming on. Therefore, it makes sense that the bike doesn't know it's in neutral, therefore it won't let you start it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed out the neutral sensor and still the same problem: no headlights, no neutral light and the starter switch isn't working at all.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
did you check fuses? did you inspect the wiring harness?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Dumb question are you sure you are in neutral , you can push the bike, turn wheel with clutch out. :O
Will your turn signals , brake light work? If so you know you are at least getting power outside of that circuit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts