Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 ZX6R that I bought a few weeks ago. It has an aftermarket yoshi pipe on it, but the guy I bought it from dented and creased it. The crease looks terrible and I want to chop the pipe just above it. How would I go about doing this on my own? Please help!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never chopped a pipe before and I don't want to damage anything. I need to know exactly what I have to do to make it look good and still perform well. After I cut it how do I get it back together?

·
Registered
17,962 Posts
Wrap masking tape round where you want to make the cut.
Helps to protect the finish & make for a straight cut.

Reactions: 636MOBIN

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what's the name of the video?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I'm not sure on your can but I used a dremel with a fresh cutoff wheel to cut my 2bros can then an air cutoff wheel for the inner baffling. Drill the rivets off the end of the can. Make new holes in the cut can, rivet, done. Took me about an hour total after finding info online.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I'll post pics of the finished product when I'm done. I'll chop the pipe sometime next week.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Probably not a lot, the works done in the headers..... will be noisy though.

Use a dremell and take you time, oh you are gonna remove it from the bike arent you??

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did this on my old R6. I highly recommend a chop saw. It makes the cut straight which makes things easier when you rivet the end cap back on.

First you will want to drill out the rivets of the end cap. Once the rivets holding the end cap on are removed you can pull the end cap off the can.

Next use masking tape or painters tape and tape all the way around the can where you are going to make the cut. You can then measure and mark the exact location of your cut. I used a pencil to mark a line on the tape.

Take your can to the chop saw, line er up and chop it down to your desired length. Then take a rivet gun and I would recommend a stainless steel rivet with a larger head. Drill new holes in the can for the rivets being sure to line the holes of the end cap up with the holes you drill in the can. Put the end cap on the can, lining up the holes drop in the rivet and pop the rivet down to secure the cap.

That should do it.

·
Registered
7,645 Posts
Opened thread, realized it wasn't carbon fiber, offers no help

Reactions: mr5drums

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is what it looks like right now. It's dented pretty bad. I won't be able to cut it until Monday and will have pics of the shorty pipe up later that day.. IF everything goes to plan.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 50 Posts