Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike: 2005 ZX-6r 7k miles....two brothers carbon fiber dual exhaust....

Problem: A coupe weeks ago my bike just died on me. I waited a little bit and it started back up. Did this two more times on the 10 mile ride home. I waited about 10 minutes after it died to start it each time. I changed the fuel pump. Took it for a ride... did fine the first day. The second day it died on me again. took it to a friends house, put the battery on a charger and it started up. It was fine for another day or two then died again. So ya, the battery is loosing power obviously! So, is it just my battery or would u guess something else?? One of my friends thought maybe solanoid(spl??) any ideas???:confused Thanx... O and i bought the bike brand new, had the pipe put on right away, and havnt done any mods to it since!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
i'm not amazingly familiar with much of motorcycle's electrical systems, but just to me it sounds like something is overheating and cutting your ignition, or your generator is dying on you when it heats up... which would make your bike run off the battery for ignition which wont last too long... dunno just a shot in the dark

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like a calssic rectum frier problem.

Get a volt meter. Take the seat off to get at the battery. Start it up and ket it idle normally. Check the voltage across the polls of the battery. They should be anywhere betqween about 13 and 14v.

Hold the throttle about 5-6k, and it should dip first and then come up strongly to 14+V. If the voltage just dips, especially when you put the light son to 12V or below, the battery is not chating and the likely cause is the the regulator rectifier is gone. Common problem, easy fix.

A

1 - 3 of 3 Posts