Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so im balls deep in the first oil change on my bike. Im lookin up a how to and realize i dont have a crush washer. My motorcycle shop is closed on Mondays... Is there anywhere i can get them like advanced auto? Pep boys? I have no idea what to be looking for. Can I not replace it this oil change? Need help im clueless lol thanks.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Bring the drain plug with you and match it up or use the old one again.

·
Registered
7,344 Posts
You should already have one. It's just an aluminum washer to contact the bolt against the pan. Just inspect it and see if it's really bad. If so, you can prob just compare and find one at Lowe's. If not, just reuse it. Myself, I just flipped it over to give it a new gripping surface. Done two oil changes with the same one with no issues :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I assume you're talking about the washer on the plug? Normally you would replace it, but I've done the same thing before and just reused it. Never had any problems.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks you guys. I guess ill flip it and reuse it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Okay so im balls deep in the first oil change on my bike. Im lookin up a how to and realize i dont have a crush washer. My motorcycle shop is closed on Mondays... Is there anywhere i can get them like advanced auto? Pep boys? I have no idea what to be looking for. Can I not replace it this oil change? Need help im clueless lol thanks.
I wouldn't panic too much... I've done 8 oil changes with the same bolt and washer... Probably over torqued it a few times. At some point it was a little waved around the washer, but I've never lost a drop of oil out of the drain plug nor did I strip threads on the oil pan.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ummmmm i dont use one. i'm getting a plastic one soon because there reusable. i have one on my car and it works fine. i haven't had any problems doing 4 oil changes on my bike without one.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
If its deformed or missing replace it, go to any automotive store in the area and ask them to match the gasket.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
I don't think Iv ever replaced mine, Something Iv been meaning to do, Just can never remember it when I'm out.
Must make a note, Maybe if I stamped it onto my forehead????

·
Registered
5,254 Posts
Autozone should have one.

I'VE always cleaned around the bolt area really well and put silicone around the bolt after replacing. Just something I've always done for MY peace of mind.

·
Registered
17,933 Posts
Autozone should have one.

I'VE always cleaned around the bolt area really well and put silicone around the bolt after replacing. Just something I've always done for MY peace of mind.
Yeah wouldn't that be a hell of a note, Your riding along & it starts to leak.
say it starts to pour out?? I'm sure you/we would crash before the motor was harmed, As the rear tire would be coated in oil.:cry:

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
I've reused and not had any problems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts