Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im relatively new to riding the 2008 zx6r and this might seem like a very newbish question but...

- First i want to add that the bike has around 5,400 miles completely stock.

- The issue is as follows: every day my bike starts up in a normal manner with no delay. I typically just press the button and turns on right away!

-However, when i go to school and leave it parked outside in the sun for several hours and i try to turn it on, the bike has a very bad delay and wont turn on unless i put it on neutral and move it back and forth until it turns on...

Could there be a potential problem that the sun might be causing? such as somehow draining the battery?

Whenever i'm home, i have the bike covered and away from the sun and starts up like a champ, yet when i leave it out on the sun for time it feels as if it struggles starting up and have to hold the start up button for several seconds. I was wondering if this is causing damage to my bike? :(.

Can some one please help? :( i feel like its causing my bike pain and i dont know if its something wrong im doing or if this is something that happens normally when you leave your bike out in the sun...

I always baby it and shift gears at around 5-6k rp and for fuel i always give it premium gas and make sure the oil is changed every 3k miles

·
Registered
48 Posts
Does it turn over and eventually start or when you push the button, or does nothing happens for a while and then it starts to crank?

Do you have a custom gas cap, sounds stupid but when you're at school, before you try starting the bike open the gas cap and close it, the air pressure could be a problem with expanding gas in the fuel tank.

05 bikes use to have a ECU problem when it overheated and damaged it but it was from the exhaust, I think the 08 models were pretty much free of that problem, something still makes me think it might be electrical?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i press the button it struggles to start up for about 2-3 seconds, then i let go because i don't know if it could damage the motorcycle... ( can i keep holding it until it turns on?).

So what i end up doing is I squeeze the clutch all the way in and put it on neutral and move it back and forth. Then I hold the ignition button to turn on for about 1-2 seconds until it eventually turns on...

It is very strange that my bike only does this when its out in the sun at school... This is probably a dumb question, but will i have to open and close the gas cap every time its out in the sun for prolonged periods of time?? Or could there be a fix for this? this is my first time hearing of gas expanding so its very interesting, thank you, ill definitely do it when i go to school this week.

I'm just worried that by holding the ignition button longer to start up will it cause some damage to my bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also want to add that in every other scenario such as when i keep my bike covered or in a shaded area it manages to turn on extremely fast. I barely press it half way and it feels as if it instantly turns on, which is why i'm so worried and confused altogether with what my bike is doing when i leave it outside in the heat...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Just a thought here but.....you ever think to cover the bike at school? You do it in the garage or at home, why not when it sits in the hot, sweltering sun baking all day? Even if you cover the bars, tank, and seat with a large white towel to see if that helps, then you already know the reason. : )

I think you've answered your own question.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Sounds like your tank needs to breathe, so you might have a pinched breather hose. Pushing the bike back and forth may be relieving some of the pressure through the kinked hose.

Next time you're in the hot sun, open the gas cap before you do anything else. You may hear air suck into the tank. If it starts then you have probably identified the issue.

I had a problem with stalling after my bike sat in a hot parking lot, but it turned out to be an ECU issue. The bike would start pretty well, but would stall when I was riding/pulling in the clutch for the first 5 min or so.

jimundascores

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just get a cheap cover off eBay. I got one which squeezes into a readlly small bag. It's no good for long term protection cos it's quite thin but it's slightly silver in colour and keeps the worse of the Sun / dust / rain off the bike. It even just about squeezes under the rear seat cowl. And only cost £15. Worth a thought....
Unfortabely it never gets that hot here so although I know it doesn't solve your problem, it might buy you some time.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,896 Posts
Could be gas pressure. Could be gamma rays. Or Ra the Egyptian sun god exacting some revenge upon you for your ancestors transgressions. There's that...

Reactions: 636rida06

·
Registered
14,146 Posts
^ I like your Clarke quote.

Fun trivia: He patented geosynchronous orbit. Any communications satellite, weather satellite.... any body that uses that distance from the earth to maintain it's orbit, his estate gets a royalty.

./

OP -- I'm also of the mind that your vent lines are blocked which is causing pressure build up. Pop the cap and see if it changes the next time it does this. The 'whoosh' will tell all.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,896 Posts
^ I like your Clarke quote.

Fun trivia: He patented geosynchronous orbit. Any communications satellite, weather satellite.... any body that uses that distance from the earth to maintain it's orbit, his estate gets a royalty.

./

OP -- I'm also of the mind that your vent lines are blocked which is causing pressure build up. Pop the cap and see if it changes the next time it does this. The 'whoosh' will tell all.
he's a certified "300 spartan chest kick" kind of badass

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks a lot for all the good information, i feel much better knowing that there is an explanation to why this could be happening.

To be honest, i would be a little embarrassed being the only person in the whole school to cover his bike just so that it turns on :( that's why i was wondering if there was an alternative solution, or just wait till the sun goes down.

I wish I was as smart as most people here to find a good fix on this... but the pinched breather hose sounds like the best explanation...

I always think that it is so strange that my bike can get much hotter than the actual weather outside, so i find it hard to understand why it is more difficult to start it up when it just sits out under the sun.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thanks a lot for all the good information, i feel much better knowing that there is an explanation to why this could be happening.

To be honest, i would be a little embarrassed being the only person in the whole school to cover his bike just so that it turns on :( that's why i was wondering if there was an alternative solution, or just wait till the sun goes down.

I wish I was as smart as most people here to find a good fix on this... but the pinched breather hose sounds like the best explanation...

I always think that it is so strange that my bike can get much hotter than the actual weather outside, so i find it hard to understand why it is more difficult to start it up when it just sits out under the sun.
It's a good thing you're still in school then...

·
Registered
8,196 Posts
I would blame it on a planet, not a star. I am sure that is the problem though. Planets are out of control it seems.

·
Sr. Penis Inspector
13,896 Posts
Global Warming is a pain in the dick

Reactions: AlexZX6R

·
Registered
215 Posts
When it does start is it especially 'fuel' smelling? IE like you just got gas? Have seen a leaky injector caused this. Leave it overnight and it stops and leaks down. No problem. Let it sit for 1 or 2 hours. No problem. Sits for 3-6ish hours and has a little trouble starting because too much fuel in the cylinders.

Something to potentially check.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Since i'm a complete newb when it comes to motorcycles, i really appreciate all the good feed back you guys have given me :) and also the good jokes here and there have made my day lol

just want to add my UPDATE on the situation.

Lately the weather has not been up in the 100s, so i have not experienced any starting problems these past couple of days. I've also gotten lucky parking next to trees with shade at times or end up coming home late in the day when the sun is down already... so as of right now i believe I've been able to avoid the problem.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
OP: Aside from being stuck in a parking lot, you can possibly f up your tank with what sounds like the situation you have.

Extreme pressure from a sunny day can expand the tank causing permanent problems with fairing fittings. Or, moving the bike from hot to cold (like going from a sunny ride to a garage) can cause the tank to slightly implode, which would also suck in a similar manner.

Think about the gas can you have in the garage or shed. When you leave it out in the sun, it starts to balloon. When it's cold, it starts to shrink. You don't want your gas tank doing either of those things.

Look into your breather hoses ASAP.

jimundascores

1 - 20 of 30 Posts