Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys

just got my frame sliders in the mail yesterday (from woodcraft) took about 3 days to ship i'm impressed

i want to put them on but i wanna make sure i do it right does anybody have a website that has alot of pics for a zx6r frame slider installation?

or tips?

thx

·
Registered
450 Posts
ummmm...remove upper engine mount bolt, insert slider, torque to oem spec, repeat?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya i kno that but it says that i might need to cut piece of my fairing to make it fit .. and from the looks of it i might have too i dont want to fuck up, ya know?

·
Registered
450 Posts
ya i kno that but it says that i might need to cut piece of my fairing to make it fit .. and from the looks of it i might have too i dont want to fuck up, ya know?
Specific answers require specific questions chief...

I only had to cut the right side on the 06. It's super simple.

1. With the plastics on, remove engine mount bolt on whichever side needs cutting. DO NOT remove both mount bolts at the same time..

2. Insert slider as far as possible to see how much plastic needs to be cut.

3 Use a round object(I used a childs sippy cup) as a guide to mark the cut.

4. remove plastics

5. Use a hole saw to make the initial rough cut. Cutting LESS is better than more on the rough cut.

6. Then use a rat's tail or rounded file to slowly remove the necessary material and shape the cut. You may have to remove and re-install the plastics a few times to get it perfect.

·
Registered
450 Posts

As you can see, very little material is actually removed...on the 06 anyway.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Can't take credit for that one...the garage belongs to the guy who painted the plastics. He's ummm...kinda anal. Actually he's REALLY anal:lol:...which makes him the perfect guy to paint your bike...

My shop's not quite as spiffy, but it's 40'x30' and has cooler toys.:)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Let me tell you though....

When they say that those motor mount bolts are tight they are not lying. I was able to do the left side with my 3/8 inch ratchet and extention but my 8mm bit stripped the bolt on the right side

to make a long story short. I had to go to the local Firestone to get one of the technicians to pull it off with an impact wrench, but since it was already partially stripped the impact wrench and a torks bit still could not get it loose. We wound up using an impact hammer and a torks bit to break it loose, so my advice would be...

GET SOMEONE TO LOOSEN THOSE MOTOR MOUNT BOLTS WITH AN IMPACT WRENCH FIRST.

make sure you remove enough screws from the right fairing to get it completely out of the way. I took off the ones that connect the upper and mid fairing and that did the trick. Better safe then sorry.

also, I placed painters tape along the edge of the right fairing so I wouldn't scratch it while trying to break the bolt

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Had the same issue as 'Ridin'Hood'. I ended up roundin off the head on the 6mm bolt on the right side. Had to use a pipe wrench and a pole for leverage to get that puppy lose. Bike looks tite with the sliders on tho so it was all worth it......

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i put the left one on but haven't gone the right side yet.. will do tommorow w/pics

that engine mounting bolt was a bitch

1 - 11 of 11 Posts