Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so here's the deal:

2005 ZX6R with the following mods (tried to list all moderately electronic related ones and left out the others):
- Dual Headlight Mod
- 35W HIDs
- Gorilla 8007 Alarm
- SpeedoDRD
- Servo Eliminator (from Hellsrazor)

So, I haven't ridden much since last fall and every time I have, it's just been around town and then back home to my battery tender. I didn't have any issues last fall with the battery discharging and the only thing from the above list that's new is the Servo Eliminator.

Monday, my bike sat most of the day in the garage (not on the battery tender), I started it up no problem, but shortly after leaving the FI light came on. I pulled over at my first good chance (about 5 minutes later) and shut the bike off. When I went to start it to pull it onto a trailer, it was so dead it wouldn't even turn the starter. Rolled it down the nearby hill to get it started, dropped the clutch, started right up, no FI light, rode it back home with the trailer following in case the FI light came back (it didn't).

Rode it to work this morning and no FI light. Left it parked at work all day, went out to start it, and got nothing again. Jump started it, rode it about 10 miles to a gas station, shut it off to fill up, started right back up. Rode it another 20 miles home still with no FI light and had no issue with it.

I left it off the battery tender for right now and will see what happens later tonight/tomorrow morning. Until then when I can see if the battery is being drained by something right now, any ideas? The only significant difference I can see between Monday at home and today at work is the alarm was armed at work today. Could that be the issue?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Updates:
7:30am 5/1 - After leaving the battery tender off for the evening, it still started up fine after about 6 hours (at about 10pm last night). I let it run and warm up, then took it for a very short ride and left it overnight without the battery tender on it. In the morning, it was completely dead again.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone have helpful/constructive thoughts?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
charging system should be fine or I wouldn't have been able to start it back up at the gas station after only riding for 10 miles after jumping it, right? Not going to tear it up and test shit I don't need to :O

·
Registered
13,062 Posts
charging system should be fine or I wouldn't have been able to start it back up at the gas station after only riding for 10 miles after jumping it, right? Not going to tear it up and test shit I don't need to :O
Then why ask the question? Sorry if I sound like a d*ck; I work with electronics every day. Automotive/bike stuff is relatively simple, once you've done it for a while.

If you are getting steady voltage out of your charging system and all connections are sound..... you don't have a problem. This does not sound like your situation.

How would you suggest going about isolating where the problem is, without measuring anything?

I'm not saying you have to start taking stuff off the bike.... but you do need to know what the ability of the bike to charge the system is, and roughly what kind of state your battery is in -- it could have a bad connection internally, as an example. Without a meter, you are in a bad state sorting sh*t like this out.

Seriously, buy a multimeter from wherever you can find a cheap one. You need to be able to read DC Volts, and resistance as a minimum. AC Volts as well is so standard you'd have a tough time finding one without it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
my only thought would be a drain looking at your installs suspect the alarm if possible try leaving it unplugged for a day after fully charged and retest or perform a battery parasitic draw test using a dvom also seen hid kits causing a draw again my specialty is automotive electronic systems suspecting bikes are identical. how old is the battery? the cranking amps on battery are good?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my only thought would be a drain looking at your installs suspect the alarm if possible try leaving it unplugged for a day after fully charged and retest or perform a battery parasitic draw test using a dvom also seen hid kits causing a draw again my specialty is automotive electronic systems suspecting bikes are identical. how old is the battery? the cranking amps on battery are good?
Not sure of battery age or cranking amps.

I have the same HID kits on three cars and have had no issues with them (doesn't necessarily rule it out tho).

Alarm was also my guess given that I haven't had issues before and the only significant issue I had was when the alarm was on.

How do I do this "parasitic draw test" and what is a dvom?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I'm thinking it's got to be the alarm being armed. It has been sitting for about 6 hours since I got home and it just started right up with no hesitation whatsoever. It was only sitting at work for about 9 hours and it wouldn't do anything at all. Has to be the alarm system, right?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm out for the night...I expect some useful comments when I wake up in the morning tho :D

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
So, I'm thinking it's got to be the alarm being armed. It has been sitting for about 6 hours since I got home and it just started right up with no hesitation whatsoever. It was only sitting at work for about 9 hours and it wouldn't do anything at all. Has to be the alarm system, right?
That doesn;t make much sense that they'd make an alarm for a bike that drains THAT much power overnight. I mean my heated grips will take my whole battery in under 2 hours but an alarm......

But like you said all things being equal you didn't change anything else so try disabling for 24 hours and see what happens?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I agree...I just don't know what else it would be :O

Any other help or advice would be appreciated!!!

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, so I left it overnight again without being on the battery tender (about 8.5 hours) and it was completely dead again this morning. Alarm wasn't armed, but it still could be the alarm system in general (or just about anything else).

I'm going to pull the alarm off tonight and leave it again overnight to see if does the same thing. Other than that, any advice?

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are sucking today...I need some help :hmmm:

·
Registered
108 Posts
You guys are sucking today...I need some help :hmmm:
ok nitrous sorry was out all day and into the night fighting a grassfire or two lol it is the season

a dvom is a digital voltmeter ohm meter I bought one for $20 at Canadian tire (which you don't have lol) but you should be able to find one it has to have a amp setting 10 amp minimum just google it

to perform a draw test first charge the battery here is a link I found that is a quick guide
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Electrical Shop/battery/Parasitic Draw/parasitic_draw.html
I know it's ktm it was a quick search any more questions you can pm me

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
When my 05 was doing the exact same thing, it was the RR, but it was stock and didnt have all that electrical shit you do.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok nitrous sorry was out all day and into the night fighting a grassfire or two lol it is the season

a dvom is a digital voltmeter ohm meter I bought one for $20 at Canadian tire (which you don't have lol) but you should be able to find one it has to have a amp setting 10 amp minimum just google it

to perform a draw test first charge the battery here is a link I found that is a quick guide
http://www.ktm950.info/how/Electrical Shop/battery/Parasitic Draw/parasitic_draw.html
I know it's ktm it was a quick search any more questions you can pm me
Thanks so much for the help! I've got a DMM to use and will to test based on teh link you provided. Thanks again for the info :bigthumb:

Check your ground connections. I did the dual headlights and I didnt have a solid connection and it was slowly draining my battery.
I will be checking all my connections when I get in there to do the Parasitic Draw Test mentioned above and when I go to disoconnect the alarm (which will probably still be one of my first actions).

I don't know about you, but on these bikes, I almost always ground to the negative battery terminal simply because there's not that many great places to ground stuff to :O

·
Registered
971 Posts
Sure your battery is good? Sometimes batteries can do some strange things as they die. Sometimes take a charge sometimes not.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My bike did the same shit never got a fi light had to bump start it once rode it a few times no problem it sat fir a month in the shop no idea if they had it charging or not pick it up no problems for a week had to bump it again turned out it was my battery just doing weird shit with weather changes replaced it haven't had an issue since

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sure your battery is good? Sometimes batteries can do some strange things as they die. Sometimes take a charge sometimes not.
Nope, not sure at all...testing it is one of the other things on the list for this afternoon

1 - 20 of 27 Posts