Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, can you give me your opinion on this ad. Higher mileage than I would like . What major service should it be done or is upcoming that I need to factor in the price? Also, is this a factory colour? Cant find it on the web

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
A '13 ABS, through a '19 ABS are mechanically the same bike. 11,800 miles is a reasonable number of miles (converting from km by multiplying by .6) that far North. As I suspect the exchange rate benefits the USD, I'm guessing the equivalent price here would be $5.5K?

Age related parts that would likely need to be replaced... tires, battery, brake lines, if the chain has been on there for more than 7-8 years, I would bin that as well. Engine oil, coolant, brake fluid (not an insignificant effort with ABS), should all be swapped/flushed out. Air and oil filter, spark plugs....

If it's been ridden every year, you're still looking at some time before it would be mandatory to check the valve clearances; it would be a very good idea to get that done so you know exactly where you stand.

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Tires and battery would easily cost $400 USD, mounting and balancing could add another $100. Fluid changes you should be able to do yourself. Filters would be another $100 or so.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't let the mileage scare you I'd more worried about the process to title it in the States? Anyone know?

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
The biggest concern with any bike that sits many months each year is stale gas. Particularly when alcohol is involved. It's nearly impossible to see if rust and shellac have been deposited so you wouldn't really know how sound the fuel system is until you replace the gas -- but I would recommend that you store it with the tank as full as you can get it.

Once the snow starts flying, motorcycle sales slow down a lot. That's the good time for buyers, as dealers don't want to keep old bikes on the showroom floor all winter. As far as the fairings go, that looks like an OEM set to me; I can't see enough detail to pick it apart on whether it's ever hit the ground or not. Guessing the orange light at the bottom of the instrument cluster indicates the ABS. I think the front turn signals are not OEM, again not my year bike and not that good of a picture.

The price seems reasonable to me, if you don't need to sink a lot into it to make it safe. @ $3,500 USD, it's not that likely to lose value between now and spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The biggest concern with any bike that sits many months each year is stale gas. Particularly when alcohol is involved. It's nearly impossible to see if rust and shellac have been deposited so you wouldn't really know how sound the fuel system is until you replace the gas -- but I would recommend that you store it with the tank as full as you can get it.

Once the snow starts flying, motorcycle sales slow down a lot. That's the good time for buyers, as dealers don't want to keep old bikes on the showroom floor all winter. As far as the fairings go, that looks like an OEM set to me; I can't see enough detail to pick it apart on whether it's ever hit the ground or not. Guessing the orange light at the bottom of the instrument cluster indicates the ABS. I think the front turn signals are not OEM, again not my year bike and not that good of a picture.

The price seems reasonable to me, if you don't need to sink a lot into it to make it safe. @ $3,500 USD, it's not that likely to lose value between now and spring.
He gave me more pictures.

I dunno if the quality is ok but here they are.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Looks like OEM bodywork in good condition, OEM signals, aftermarket fender eliminator (I have the same one), OEM front signals….. rear sprocket is showing some wear, but doesn’t look excessive.

Seems like a very clean bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like OEM bodywork in good condition, OEM signals, aftermarket fender eliminator (I have the same one), OEM front signals….. rear sprocket is showing some wear, but doesn’t look excessive.

Seems like a very clean bike.
I'm headed there now. Wish me luck :). I bought these straps, 4 of them. Hopefully ahould be enough for transport

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
You've got tons of anchor points in there, so there should be no problem setting up the straps to keep the bike from moving around more than you want. A wheel chock for the front would make it even better, but I have had movers ship my motorcycles over 1,000 miles as part of my household goods without incident without a chock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Proud owner of a 2013 zx6r :D . I had to drive for almost 17h yesterday (back and forth to there and back) . He gave me a Two bros slip on which I might install.

Now. I will be shipping this bike in a sealed container to Europe, to ride it there for a little bit. Can anyone point me to a video or website where I can see how to tie it down. I have a metal crate with a front wheel chock I will be using but I guess I need to strap it down as well for added security. My concern is that If I tie it down on the handlebars (like I did in the van yesterday) it is going to compress the forks for two long (two months on the ship) and it will crease to much compression. Any advice ?

What oil is recommended for it? Looking to get rid of the bulky blinkers in the tail, any recommendations?

·
Registered
16,268 Posts
Presuming you will get an International driver's license to cover your time overseas.... sounds like a really neat thing to do! Guessing you've already looked into insurance, etc. Many countries will not provide medical services if you are not adequately covered by insurance that is applicable in their country.

As far as securing a motorcycle for a two month trip on board a ship.... that's one I haven't ever considered, will be interested in the opinion of the group on this. The front wheel chock system should be enough on the front, I would add some straps to the sides of the container as a back up but would (personally) not get too excited about stressing the front suspension by compressing it.

The rear of the bike, I would consider some anchor points that bolt to the rear foot peg mounting points. A number of companies make those, and you know the point they attach to the subframe can handle a 200 lb person standing on the passenger pegs.... same sort of deal as the front, not too much is better than too much but the 'slop' on that is IMHO quite large. You just want to make sure it doesn't shift around so much that it falls over or impacts the walls of the container.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts